Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Chemo (methotrexate) and sore eyes - help!

(5 Posts)
MrsJohnDeere Tue 19-Mar-13 21:40:57

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I'm having chemo at the moment (methotrexate intramuscularly alternate days). Now have really sore eyes - itchy, feel dry but streaming with tears at the same time confused. I'm using the eyedrops given by the hospital. Is there anything else I can do to relieve this? I feel/look line I've been chopping onions all day long.

hazeyjane Tue 19-Mar-13 21:47:47

When I was on methotrexate, I had very bad mouth ulcers and sore eyes, when I first started and then they tweaked the dosage of both the methotrexate and the folinic acid. I also found that if my eyes felt sore, it helped to wear sunglasses. What eye drops have they given you, there maybe a different one that will work better for you.

MrsJohnDeere Tue 19-Mar-13 21:59:07

I've got Hypromellose 0.3% w/v (whatever that means). Two different brands. Neither helping. One from the hospital, the other bought from Boots.

hazeyjane Tue 19-Mar-13 22:16:45

I seem to remember I had a gel, which I used at night, and then drops during the day, the gel seemed to work better at lubricating the eye. I can't remember what it was called, but I know my ds has to use a moisturising eye gel called lacrilube because he sleeps with his eyes open, so they get sore and gritty. Might be worth having a look in the chemist, or asking your gp.

MrsJohnDeere Tue 19-Mar-13 22:42:03

Thank you! Iwill try and get that tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now