Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Psoriatic arthritis

(34 Posts)
redshoes Tue 08-Jan-13 20:22:15

I've recently been diagnosed with this and am struggling to accept it. Over 6 months I've gone from a swollen toe and some aching joints to being on Methotrexate (which reduces your immune system) and consequent fortnightly blood tests. I am crying every day. I hate having bloods taken - but I know they have to check my liver function. Does anyone else have this? I'm also developing psoriasis, which doesn't bother me too much at the moment. I feel like jacking the medication but I'm so scared of what could happen to my joints. Just interested in anyone else's experience really...

wonkylegs Fri 11-Jan-13 21:45:00

My blood tests are now 8wks. You start off with them closer together and after a short while if your results are ok they start to space them out usually working up to 8wk gaps. Do you have them at the hospital? If so would community monitoring (usually outside nurse at your GP) be easier? Check if they do this in your area? You usually can do this once you get you've been on the meds for a bit. I found it more convenient to do that for a bit, as it was much quicker (and didn't involve hospital parking fees).

redshoes Fri 11-Jan-13 22:18:24

Oh wow so much useful info on the inspire site - thanks again fergus

redshoes Fri 11-Jan-13 22:23:42

Thanks wonkylegs yes have them done at hospital but happier there than with practice nurse despite parking charges as seem more efficient. It's not the nurse it's me! My big dread is that have been on mxt 10mg for 5 weeks now and seeing rheumy next week - and I've got worse not better so I'm thinking he'll either up the dose or put me on something else which will then mean starting again with the fortnightly tests!

Needalifeagain Fri 11-Jan-13 22:34:52

I was diagnosed at 25 with Psoriatic Arthritis 10 years ago having has psoriasis for previous 10 years. Was devastated.
Was barely able to walk,drive etc. Luckily had private healthcare and after a few medication regimes did not work was eventually really well with Methotrexate. No real side effects etc.
Changed my life, diet exercise etc and eventually came off all meds about 4 years ago. Have since run marathons,climbed mountains and am now pregnant with my second child.
Stay positive, I really does help.

AgentFelix Fri 11-Jan-13 23:42:39

Needalife that's fantastic! I will read your post out to DP in the morning.

Congratulations on your pregnancy smile

redshoes Sat 12-Jan-13 06:19:53

Yes needalife congratulations and well done! Any tips on what diet/exercise worked for you? Tell me more about coming off the meds - was it the dr's advice or did you insist? Thanks for the hope!

Needalifeagain Sat 12-Jan-13 12:37:55

Started out swimming as low impact and all I could manage then graduated to gym and cycling then running.
Even had to learn to swim!
Usual healthy diet stuff and losing weight really helped. Steroids and inactivity not good for weight gain.
Came of antiinflammatories first and then methotrexate with consultants blessing as bloods and X-rays were pretty good. Wanted off drugs as felt quite good and wanted to have kids.
Think withdrawal pains were mainly of a physiological nature.
Was talking of other drugs if worsened during pregnancy but so far so good. Did have relapse after DD1 but course of steroids and steroid injection helped.
Apparently breast feeding really beneficial got mum too.

redshoes Sat 12-Jan-13 13:08:51

Amazing. Happy story, I'm pleased for you and impressed. Good luck with dc2 x

redshoes Tue 15-Jan-13 11:08:32

Hi korma yes it is the not getting better part which has devastated me too - just seems to have come from nowhere. Will check out Facebook, thanks. Good luck on the 4th - I have my 2nd appointment with rheumy on 17th jan and will have to tell him that in spite of the methotrexate I am getting worse every day. I didn't really believe the diagnosis at first - I believe it now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now