Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

DH with chronic atopic eczema

(2 Posts)
SimLondon Thu 10-Jan-13 00:02:27

Is he under an allergies consultant with daily medication to supress it?

I don't mean a dermatologist/eczema consultant but one who specializes in allergies.

fantasyworld Wed 02-Jan-13 23:22:51

Hello, this sounds as small fry compared to some of the life-threatening illnesses other people are posting about, however I do need some advice as nearing exhaustion fast. I am writing because my husband suffers from atopic eczema, coupled with asthma and allergy. He has had this condition pretty much since birth. He is currently going through an acute period which has meant he has been very ill and unable to leave the house for nearly three weeks. Even when his eczema is not acute, it needs a lot of managing and makes him often irritable, tired and he has had bouts of depression that last for months (the two are definitely connected, not sure which comes first).

My question is, as his condition makes it harder for him to find and keep work (he is currently self employed so this affects him even more), would he qualify for disability living allowance? My other question is would I, as his wife and the person who looks after him when he is ill (as well as our two year old daughter), qualify as a carer? I am interested in exploring carer's allowance but mostly, I would like to know whether being recognised as a carer would entitle me to any benefits at work, such as extra sickness days, flexible/reduced hours etc. I am currently employed full time by a local authority. I would be grateful for any help you could give us.

Many thanks in advance

p.s. the only thing that seem to actually make a difference are thermal mineral baths, we visit them when we go to my home country but can't seem to find any in the UK? are there any that are NHS funded?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now