Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

I bloody hate you, you bastarding disease

(223 Posts)
McPhee Wed 10-Oct-12 21:40:57

Fuck off, do you hear me? Now just fuck the fuck off angry

Yesterday, we said goodbye to my Uncle after a long fight with Cancer. My wonderful, brave Uncle sad

Our family friend is also terminally ill with bowel cancer. He had a rupture, and had to have his bowel removed via emergency surgery a few days ago. This is the one thing he never wanted to happen. All he wants is his dignity sad

Today, I find out that my Best friends MIL has also now been diagnosed as terminal. All she had was a sore hip. Her body is riddled. She's got two grandchildren she cares for due to family reasons. I feel sick to the stomach about what could happen to those wonderful boys sad

How many more? I'm so angry tonight!

Everlong Thu 11-Oct-12 06:49:08

You too McPhee thanks

And to all of you facing worrying times ahead.

elliepac Thu 11-Oct-12 07:10:05

My wonderful dad, to stomach cancer, at the age of 50, nearly 12 years ago. He beat a brain tumour, he then beat stomach cancer the first time round but then the bastarding disease came back and took him. He would have made the most amazing grandad and it breaks my heart that he never met my dc's.

My mum, bless her, coped amazingly well after losing the love of her life and met a fantastic man and re-married. He made her so happy and was a wonderful grandad to DS. 6 years in bastarding cancer took him as well, within 6 weeks of diagnosis. Telling DS was the most heartbreaking conversation I have ever had to have and it nearly broke my mum.sad

My sister, who beat cancer of the womb at 30, but had to have a full hysterectomy before her and Dbil had any children.

For all of you who have lost children (expat whatevertheweather and anyone else I have missed) I cannot even begin to imagine what you have been through.sad

My mum sad who has intense chemo again today and bas been battling for 3 years. We know its terminal but appreciate every second you fight to stay with us.

My mum to kidney cancer - loved her grandson but never met her granddaughter (who may very well be her reincarnated)
Dad had throat cancer - survived but been ravaged by the treatment
FIL survivied bladder cancer - had to have bladder removed.
Uncle currently fighting pancreatic cancer - not looking good
Great Uncle died in the 60s from leukaemia

Bastard cancer!

EvenIfYouSeeAPoppy Thu 11-Oct-12 07:22:35

I sang a few weeks ago at the funeral of a former choir member who died of leukaemia a few weeks short of his 58th birthday. One of his dds was heavily pregnant. sad

I have several friends fighting this shitty disease.

Much love to all of you who are grieving.

throckenholt Thu 11-Oct-12 07:52:24

My mum died of ovarian cancer in March. At least she was 70 so arguably she had had her life. So sad to read about all those young people. Cancer is awful, but somehow so much worse in the young. sad

EmBOOsa Thu 11-Oct-12 09:18:55

My nan.

And my mum, 2 weeks before DS was born.

Cancer is the vilest, cruelest thing. sad

It is hideous - I've lost both parents to this fucker, and several friends. One day we'll nail the bastard.

fledtoscotland Thu 11-Oct-12 09:22:06

My childhood best friend was diagnosed with bowel cancer a month ago. My step dad died aged 56 of pancreatic cancer - non smoker and limited alcohol. My next door neighbours daughter in her 40s has cancer spread throughout her body starting in her cervix.

Hugs and tissues to everyone on this thread. Cancer doesn't worry about age/class/gender

OhDeerHauntingFENTON Thu 11-Oct-12 09:22:30

I can't list them, it's too painful.

Fuck you cancer.

So sorry for everyone who has had to deal with this. thanks

ExasperatedSigh Thu 11-Oct-12 09:30:28

My darling brother, killed by a rare sarcoma after two years of agonising and degrading treatment. He was 34. He never got to meet my DC or have his own; my lovely SIL was a widow at 32.

I hate it.

Oh, and my little cousin who has had to have a full hysterectomy in her early twenties thanks to this bastard disease.

Solidarity hugs to you all.

libelulle Thu 11-Oct-12 09:33:09

My lovely mum. Finishing her first round of chemo this week for a relapse of acute myeloid leukaemia, after 6 months of gruelling treatment last year. Her only chance is a bone marrow transplant, and the odds are, frankly, fucking slim. She's 65 and is fantastic. I can't bear it.

Bunnygotwhacked Thu 11-Oct-12 09:36:48

dp's dad who died when dp was 18 barely 6 months after his mum had passed. dp will never learn to live with it. A little boy my youngest dc went to play group with not long had his 6th birthday he is terminal and facing the last few months. When I saw his mum she seemed so strong but she has been through hell these past 3 years fighting it. Fucking cancer

My beautiful mum in 2010 4 weeks to the day of diagnosis of lung cancer

My FIL in 2004 of bile duct cancer

Them my MIL died last year from dementia - my poor DS only has one GP now at the age of 10, I feel very cheated sad

Trazzle - I will say prayers for your brave beautiful boy and for you too.

ExPat I think of your gorgeous daughter everyday and she is the reason I am on the Bone Marrow Donor register now.

Whatever - so sorry for the loss of your precious baby - big hugs to you.

So sad for all of us - it' fucking shit shit shit!!!

BupcakesAndHaunting Thu 11-Oct-12 09:37:31

I am so sorry for everyone on this thread who has lost someone to this fucker of a disease thanks

My lovely aunt, only 44, has probablya week or so left. She is in a hospice because of a very aggressive brain tumour that has slowly and painfully deteriorated her to such a state that she doesn't even look like her anymore. It is awful and so, so wrong. She has two grown-up girls that she will never see get married or meet their babies. How is that fair? How can nothing be done?

There do seem to be glimmers of hope on the horizon though. I read in the Independent the other week that cancer deaths are predicted to fall by 45% by 2035, the biggest reduction in deaths is thought to be in ovarian cancer which would be amazing as it is such a difficult cancer. 45% would be wonderful. I really do think that we are getting ever closer to cures for cancer. Hopefully our children won't have to watch loved ones slowly picked off by it when they are adults. Thank you to the people working tirelessly to find cures and answers thanks

Oopsy - thinking of you and your DH too

twofalls Thu 11-Oct-12 09:41:15

Just took dd1 in to the hospice to see
my lovely mil. Heartbreaking.

And my friend who left her 2 girls earlier this year. And another friend who is having a bone marrow transplant for his leakeamia that has recurred. And my friend who has lost her mum, her step mum and her sister to this horrible disease. Dd1's teacher who lost her 18 month old to AML. And my own darling grandparents.

Much love and strength to you all.

It's heartbreaking, it really is.

NorthWhittering Thu 11-Oct-12 09:48:38

My beloved aunt. 25 fucking years after beating breast cancer it came back and spread all over her body.

Trazzle, Expat, Whatever so sorry for your losses thanks
Oopsy sorry to hear about your DH

Paternal grandmother (never met her) Liver cancer died aged 32
My Mum first breast cancer then adrenal cancer died aged 52
My stepmum - pancreatic cancer
and 10 months later
My Dad - bowel cancer

(My Dad and my stepmum were pensioners so it doesn't feel quite so bad because they were reaching the age where their health was likely to deteriorate)

Its sad how many people have lost loved ones too young.

AvonCallingBarksdale Thu 11-Oct-12 10:03:34

So sad for all on this thread. It is a bastard evil, vile fucking disease. My lovely FIL died last December, 3 weeks after second diagnosis of liver cancer. My dear friend's DS who is 5 and has now had cancer for over 2 years.

My gran had breast cancer twice in her forties, survived that, then just before her 78th birthday, died of a stroke. 24 years ago.

My step great aunt died from lung cancer, never smoked a day in her life, but was a district nurse, I was in my early teens.

A very dear friend, as a result of smoking, even though he hadn't for 30 odd years.

My dad 3 days after going into hospital, we found out what his cancer was when they did a postmortem. He died 3 months after my 2nd son was born, he met him once and got a smile, he was the only grandchild to do this and it made him happy, this is one positive memory I keep close to my heart. He had gastric cancer.

My heart goes out to ALL of you who have lost someone to this crap disease.

My Dad died in October 2005 by the way.

CelticPromise Thu 11-Oct-12 10:06:53

McPhee thanks for starting this thread. It's making me cry but also feel less alone. Whoever said you don't know how evil cancer is til you see it up close hit thenail onthe head. I had no idea how brutal it really was until it hit my mum. I just wish there was more they could do for her. She's spent her whole life caring for others and she's only 64.

Bupcakes your post is so hopeful. I hope you are right.

Fuck you cancer.

McPhee Thu 11-Oct-12 10:11:00

I'm hoping if nothing else, that this thread be be cathartic for us all.

Shout, swear as much as you need to

For some of us, the outcomes can't be changed, but by fuck it doesn't mean we have to accept it!

So fuck you cancer!!

angry

definatly, my mums is 44, shes lost her job,her independace, her house (had to move to bungalow), she cant get in and out of the bath without my help or put her socks on sad more chemo today, am so sad today sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now