Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

close friend has skin cancer

(6 Posts)
peppajay Sat 04-Aug-12 21:31:57

Just heard a really good friend has skin cancer, I am devastated I have already lost 2 good friends under the age of 40 to cancer can't bear to lose another one. She has been told she has malignant melanoma but doessn't know if it has spread yet. I lost my FIL to this in 2006 so I know how serious it can be. Just wondered if anybody had any experience of malignant melanomas and a success story :0(

I had MM. It was caught early and treated purely with surgery. It doesnt have to be terrible news. I hope your friend is ok x

Gigondas Mon 06-Aug-12 08:08:37

I know someone who has advanced mm and is still going strong 3 years post dx. It is possible to live quite a full and long life with cancer as a chronic disease. Hope all is ok for your friend.

ImperialBlether Tue 07-Aug-12 16:56:34

My mum had it and is absolutely fine now. I hope your friend is OK.

iseenodust Tue 07-Aug-12 16:59:52

Really close friend had it at 28. Had surgery & chemo. Has now celebrated 50th.
Hope that helps to balance your view.

peppajay Tue 07-Aug-12 17:21:05

Thanks for all your positive comments, made me feel a bit better hearing that it doesn't have to be a death sentence. Just seems so unfair she is only 32 with a 4 yr old son, having tests tomorrow to see if it has spread!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now