Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Supporting a friend having chemo

(6 Posts)
lotsofcheese Wed 01-Aug-12 19:05:17

One of my closest friends is starting chemo tomorrow, for breast cancer, following a recent mastectomy. She also had surgery for breast cancer 3 years ago, but this is not a recurrence, it's completely new tumours.

So she has been through the wars already, and faces a long road ahead with the chemo, when she is already struggling with it all.

She lives in the Channel Islands so I can't pop in & do practical things for her, but I'd appreciate your views on how I can support her.

I thought of putting a "chemo kit" together with things like a magazine, chocolate (before the taste changes kick in) maybe some nail varnish etc

Do you think that sounds ok? Is there anything else I can do for her, from a distance? Any ideas or advice is very welcome.

Gigondas Wed 01-Aug-12 19:19:21

That all sounds lovely but can I suggest you pop on tamoxifen thread (tis in general health) as lots of ladies there can help. But all those ideas sound great.

That sounds fab. Receiving a parcel with magazines, chocolate, sweets, nail varnish, nice body lotions is a wonderful idea. What she needs is lots of moral support. Make a note of her chemo days and hospital appointments and REMEMBER. The biggest complaint cancer patients have is that people lose interest and only their real friends stay the distance.
I was a chemotherapy nurse for 10 years until recently.
Best wishes to your friend x

Gigondas Wed 01-Aug-12 19:22:38

Dainty Nuts speaks sense (currently about to do round 3 of 6). I appreciate texts calls and visits more than anything- I know you are not near but a few texts or call works wonders.

lotsofcheese Thu 02-Aug-12 13:28:50

Thanks for all your advice, the chemo parcel is ready for posting; it contains a nail polish, magazine, posh chocolate & hand/foot kit. Her 1st chemo is today xx

onetiredmummy Tue 07-Aug-12 10:30:28

Can I just add that my mum loved the Body Shop's vitamin E spray mist for her face during chemo sessions. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now