Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How/where to find a private (non agency) carer for my grandma?

(37 Posts)
Havingkittens Wed 04-Jul-12 12:14:52

Hi, I don't know if anyone can offer any ideas. My grandma is 92 and has quite advanced vascular dementia as well as walking difficulties and other health issues. She lives in a granny flat on my auntie's house and my auntie is currently her full time carer with the help of a few agency carers who come for a couple of hours here and there. Her situation has got a lot worse over the past few months and she needs a lot more specialist help, so we are trying to find someone to come for 2-3 days a week now. The agency carers are very expensive so we wanted to see if we can find private carers, but we are at a bit of a loss how to go about this. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be really grateful! None of us quite ready for the nursing home option yet.

I thought about advertising on Gumtree for example but obviously need someone CRB checked with insurance etc.

Janetl1 Mon 28-Jul-14 11:34:12

Hi Cindyz- the agency we use is At Home Care. They really have been a godsend. Their telephone number is 0843 289 8803 and their website is Good luck, hope it helps.

cindyz Sun 27-Jul-14 23:44:05

Hi Janetl1,
Am a carer an looking for another carer to cover when am off . I have been searching for an agency who can supply us with a carer for a reasonable fee to no avail Can you please let me have the details of the one you are using.
Many thanks

Janetl1 Thu 24-Jul-14 13:03:02


A word of warning if you employ someone privately HMRC can view you as their employer and therefore you'll become liable for national insurance, sick pay, holiday pay and more importantly it can be very difficult to get rid of them. I speak from experience as we employed a polish woman from an ad in the Lady. We now use live in carers from an agency, its only £35.00 per week more expensive and all the worries have been taken away. It's well worth it. If you want their details let me know. Good Luck

fackinell Mon 14-Jul-14 14:47:11

Kittens, have a look at PA pool. You can check the credentials and see pics of carers in your Grandmother's area and contact by email. I used to be on this as a carer when I lived in London. Have a good think about what exactly her needs are. Two pt PAs may be better than one to cover sickness and hols. Please insist on CRB and local, checkable refs.
Good luck.

Bon123567 Mon 14-Jul-14 14:26:56

I need a carer for my partner 1 or 2 mornings a week, 6:30AM that is when he wakes up, he has MS and I have been using a rotary stand, which he lifts himself up by himself and I put him on the commode, wipe him and after use the rotary stand again to lift him on the wheel chair. Should not take more than 1/2 hour.

claudetteht Mon 30-Jun-14 15:17:15

Yes I can help

claudetteht Mon 30-Jun-14 15:08:33

I'm a experience carer I have accomplished a lot of training in caring for the elderly I also have my CRB clearance and am looking for a job as a private carar without an agency.

AAdomiciliary Fri 20-Jun-14 19:52:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

caring4you Fri 09-May-14 01:29:46

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

caring4you Fri 09-May-14 01:19:58

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

nanette2731 Fri 03-Jan-14 09:28:35

Hi their i have found a site called simply needs its a very good site to sign upto for carers and for service users looking to find a private carer give them a go. goodluck

violetazak Sun 22-Dec-13 23:34:48

I am an experienced carer(16 years exper.)And I am looking live-in carer for 24/7days.CRB checked.

woolstones Sun 01-Dec-13 12:06:32

I am an experienced carer looking for part time work

woolstones Sun 01-Dec-13 12:01:56

I am looking for care work either live-in 2/3 days a week or when required

Azodeh Sat 30-Nov-13 10:16:24

Well the private carers i know does live in 7days a week in case you still interested, mail me back.

Lots of local authorities run or have commissioned another organisation to run an agency to help people find and employ their own carer. They are usually called personal assistants when someone is being employed to care specifically for one person. A lot of support agencies also offer to help people find their own PAs for a small fee, and often have a number of people they have already vetted who you can interview and choose from if you want someone quickly. You could try contacting your local social services for information, or Googling PA finder or employ own PA and your location may bring up organisations that work in your area. I also know of people who have recruited a PA through the job centre (but you tend to get hundreds of replies), through word of mouth and via their local community/church, or through paying for an advert in the local paper.

I used to work in this area- if you want to PM me I am happy to find you contact details of organisations in your area or talk more about your options if you get stuck.

woolstones Wed 13-Nov-13 08:47:43

I am a Professional Carer with years of experience and I am looking for Non Agency client

woolstones Wed 13-Nov-13 08:42:15


I care for dementia client like your Grandma and I am interested in offering 2/3 days support as I am leaving my current placement to find work nearer home.


Azodeh Wed 23-Oct-13 10:59:34

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Azodeh Wed 23-Oct-13 10:45:08

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

duchesse Fri 09-Aug-13 09:48:39

Does your aunt/grandma have room for an extra resident in the house? Can you get a lovely Australian au-pair? Especially if you live somewhere attractive to young visitors to the UK, that can be a good solution for a few months at a time.

Try - a friend has used it to find care for her Grandma and it's worked out really well for her.

mrich Sat 22-Jun-13 10:36:46

I am looking for a carer in the Bromley Kent area.

mrich Sat 22-Jun-13 10:35:40

What area are you in as I am looking for a carer.

h0tp0t Sat 15-Jun-13 14:31:08

I can recommend a company, they really helped out a family friend where there were issues with dementia. They set up the home so that it was easier to cope safely there, rather than moving the patient to a care home. They were discreet and sensitive. My friend has given me the number to call - 01279 731026.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now