Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

How/where to find a private (non agency) carer for my grandma?

(52 Posts)
Havingkittens Wed 04-Jul-12 12:14:52

Hi, I don't know if anyone can offer any ideas. My grandma is 92 and has quite advanced vascular dementia as well as walking difficulties and other health issues. She lives in a granny flat on my auntie's house and my auntie is currently her full time carer with the help of a few agency carers who come for a couple of hours here and there. Her situation has got a lot worse over the past few months and she needs a lot more specialist help, so we are trying to find someone to come for 2-3 days a week now. The agency carers are very expensive so we wanted to see if we can find private carers, but we are at a bit of a loss how to go about this. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be really grateful! None of us quite ready for the nursing home option yet.

I thought about advertising on Gumtree for example but obviously need someone CRB checked with insurance etc.

Jellykat Wed 04-Jul-12 21:25:41

A friend of my DM is registered with Saga (as in the over 50s magazine) as one of their carers for our area, they may be cheaper then other agencies?

I don't know i may be paranoid, but i'd be wary of things like advertising on Gumtree, how can you really be 100% sure of them?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

The lady magazine has advertisements for things like this.

Havingkittens Wed 04-Jul-12 22:47:21

Thank you, I will look into Saga and the local care homes. I did consider The Lady actually so will see if I can lay my hands on the latest issue and have a look.

Jellycat, I did wonder whether Gumtree would be a good idea or not. On the one hand there will be people with nursing experience looking for private work whilst they are travelling. Perhaps if they are serious about working here they will be CRB checked etc. Although I did consider the possibility of them making off with the "family silver".

Some good food for thought there though. Much appreciated.

tb Mon 30-Jul-12 13:14:28

I was going to suggest the small ads in the lady mag, too.

Giraffeears Thu 09-Aug-12 21:36:55

I realise you've asked about private carers but have you tried social services? They may be able to put you in touch with appropriately vetted/crb'd privately funded carers.

macys Mon 24-Sep-12 17:53:53

have you found a private carer yet?I maybe able to help as I posted and search job in Gumtree and there was no answers for my post,so myself is also wondering if gumtree really exist.

Joy01 Wed 13-Feb-13 23:24:17

Are you still looking for personal care for your grandma. If you still are, I know an agency that I used sometime ago. They are quite good with personal care.
They are called Rose Petal Care
020 8591 1095 hope this helps.

Pictureperfect Sun 03-Mar-13 00:39:27

A local disability group can help, my local one has a job advert section where you can post what your looking for or read the section of people saying their experiences and what kind of work you are looking for. The group handle all the paperwork side of things

Jenny4jc04 Tue 04-Jun-13 18:30:04

I am an experienced carer and I would love to look after your mother,

Duduzile Thu 13-Jun-13 02:06:48

Are you still looking for a care I will love to look after your grand mother I am an experience carer please let me know if you found someone

h0tp0t Sat 15-Jun-13 14:31:08

I can recommend a company, they really helped out a family friend where there were issues with dementia. They set up the home so that it was easier to cope safely there, rather than moving the patient to a care home. They were discreet and sensitive. My friend has given me the number to call - 01279 731026.

mrich Sat 22-Jun-13 10:35:40

What area are you in as I am looking for a carer.

mrich Sat 22-Jun-13 10:36:46

I am looking for a carer in the Bromley Kent area.

Try - a friend has used it to find care for her Grandma and it's worked out really well for her.

duchesse Fri 09-Aug-13 09:48:39

Does your aunt/grandma have room for an extra resident in the house? Can you get a lovely Australian au-pair? Especially if you live somewhere attractive to young visitors to the UK, that can be a good solution for a few months at a time.

Azodeh Wed 23-Oct-13 10:45:08

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Azodeh Wed 23-Oct-13 10:59:34

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

woolstones Wed 13-Nov-13 08:42:15


I care for dementia client like your Grandma and I am interested in offering 2/3 days support as I am leaving my current placement to find work nearer home.


woolstones Wed 13-Nov-13 08:47:43

I am a Professional Carer with years of experience and I am looking for Non Agency client

Lots of local authorities run or have commissioned another organisation to run an agency to help people find and employ their own carer. They are usually called personal assistants when someone is being employed to care specifically for one person. A lot of support agencies also offer to help people find their own PAs for a small fee, and often have a number of people they have already vetted who you can interview and choose from if you want someone quickly. You could try contacting your local social services for information, or Googling PA finder or employ own PA and your location may bring up organisations that work in your area. I also know of people who have recruited a PA through the job centre (but you tend to get hundreds of replies), through word of mouth and via their local community/church, or through paying for an advert in the local paper.

I used to work in this area- if you want to PM me I am happy to find you contact details of organisations in your area or talk more about your options if you get stuck.

Azodeh Sat 30-Nov-13 10:16:24

Well the private carers i know does live in 7days a week in case you still interested, mail me back.

woolstones Sun 01-Dec-13 12:01:56

I am looking for care work either live-in 2/3 days a week or when required

woolstones Sun 01-Dec-13 12:06:32

I am an experienced carer looking for part time work

This thread is not accepting new messages.