Struggling with my lesbian daughter losing her femininity

(40 Posts)
ferniegirl Sat 23-Mar-13 00:02:52

My 19 yr old daughter came out when she was 15 and it has taken me a while to fully come to terms with it. I always supported her and was welcoming to her girlfriends but I did struggle. One of the main reasons is that she is stunningly beautiful, a real head turner and that always made me proud, shallow I know but that is how I felt. She then announced that she was sick of guys hitting on her and was going to have her (long blonde) hair cut short. I felt a bit upset at this but she went ahead and although it was completely different it did suit her. Then the other day she had it cut again, even shorter and itlooks bloody awful, shaved up the back and totally brutal. I hate it and my husband hates it too. As he said "it seems she is doing her utmost to look as unnattractive as possible".

She also shops at Topman and even wears boxer shorts.She looks like a bloke.

My heart is broken. I love her so much but this masculine thingis killing me and I dont know how to get over it. I would love some support from other mums of gay girls. Thanks!

DianaTrent Thu 04-Apr-13 17:35:12

It's OK to miss the old identity of someone when their appearance changes, OP. My DD has been totally bald three times, so I know what that aspect of it looks like, but you need to get a hug from someone and then get a hold on it quickly and focus on your DD as a person. Life is too short and people pick up more than you think about your attitude to them.

As for this :

but I'd hate DD quite a lot if she did that to her beautiful hair

I have no words for how sick attitudes like that make me.

Pancakeflipper Thu 04-Apr-13 17:42:12

Ferniegirl - just hide this thread if it's upsetting you but don't go.

I can understand it hurting seeing things you thought were gorgeous disappearing. But the majority of teens make drastic changes to their appearance for various reasons . Appearances change and she'll continue changing. Some you will like, some you won't. Just keep on supporting her Ferniegirl.

EggsEggSplat Thu 04-Apr-13 17:58:57

I am straight, but in my mid-late teens went from long hair and Laura Ashley dresses to short and spiky hair, wore DMs and trousers/dungarees, bought men's shirts and coats in Oxfam shops etc. I don't think my parents much liked my style at the time, but quite sensibly they didn't make a fuss about it - it was only superficial, and their main concern, quite rightly, was that I was growing up happy and self-confident.

I now in my 40s and have long hair again, but still don't do make-up or heels, and very rarely skirts.

I can see that I your case it is your feelings about how she looks are all tied up with your daughter's sexuality, but really I think most teenagers go through major image changes which their parents disapprove of. A lot of them at this age are doing much more extreme things involving permanent changes, like tattoos and piercings, so your daughter's changes, which are all reversible, sound relatively mild. What is going on underneath is much more important, as is your attitude and support for her, even if you don't like how she looks.

Fairylea Thu 04-Apr-13 18:06:40

Possibly her "look" has nothing to do with her sexuality anyway. Lots of lesbians dress and look extremely feminine! And the other way round... I am heterosexual but when I was 18 I wore big baggy men's tracksuit bottoms and had my very very long hair cut off to nearly a shave length all over my head... ! I was just experimenting with my look.

Her look may or may not change as she gets older. I'd just ignore as much as possible. And try and separate it from her sexuality as I think (pot psychology) you're still coming to terms with it so the outward change that you perceive to be because of her being lesbian is sort of smacking you in the face with it, you feel you can't ignore it. Maybe you need to try to be more open about the whole situation and then you.might not worry so much about her appearance.

Butterflywgs Sun 23-Jun-13 23:56:50

I can entirely agree with the posts criticising - not kicking imo - the OP.
OP, hi, I don't intend this post to be nasty. I am 32, present averagely feminine, bisexual. But I don't think your dd's sexuality is even the issue. At your dd's age, I got guilt-trips from my mother for not wearing my 'beautiful' hair down. My hair is thick and wavy, not in a good way, it easily gets very big and frizzy, and is very, very difficult to control. I couldn't be bothered spending hours on it. That was my choice. The point is, she's 19 and you don't get to tell her how to look.
This stuff about her 'breaking your heart' etc is over-dramatic and manipulative to be quite honest. I had this from my dm whenever I did something she didn't like and while I am sure she didn't intend it to, it has damaged me.
Also thoroughly agree with some of the above that gender is just a social construct.

chipmonkey Mon 24-Jun-13 01:15:47

She's 19! At that age my sister went through a phase of Mohicans, Curehead, styles, army boots, dressing only in black. She always looked different and sometimes she looked terrible!grin My sister isn't gay, by the way, just a bit arty-farty.
She's now 41 and looks and dresses mostly like a normal person with just a hint of goth thrown in and still turns heads. She rarely wears make-up but she doesn't need it.

What you are mourning is not your daughter, she's still there. ( I envy you that, by the way, as my only daughter died aged 7 weeks) What you are mourning is the image of a daughter that you had. My dd was born after four boys and I have to admit, for all the time that she lived, she was swamped in pink! But in the back of my head, I thought that given that she had four older brothers she might very well rebel aged five and refuse to go down the pink aisle in the toy store. Sadly, we never found out.

I think you have done well not to voice these thoughts. Let her know you are always on her side, she'll find her own way.

BangOn Mon 24-Jun-13 20:18:08

I think what your daughter's doing sounds quite positive & interesting actually. Making a conscious effort not to confom to arbitrary gender sterotypes, rebelling against the way female self image is entirely geared around male sexuality & experiencing liberation from unwanted male attentio - now this is a social experiment mn should encouraging all women to try, maybe just for a few months, or weeks even.

Optimist1 Mon 24-Jun-13 20:38:17

Too late, people, OP has deleted her profile. I tried to PM her with some personal experiences that might have helped.

queddu6 Mon 05-Aug-13 19:38:56

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

DalePie Mon 26-Aug-13 21:27:04

I'm a gay guy in my 30's so been around the block so to speak smile

The modern "butch" look is exactly what your DD is aspiring to at the moment. It's a look I see quite frequently in young lesbian girls with the 3/4 length shorts and t-shirt thing. It's an accepted way for some lesbians to dress within the gay scene.

I can understand why they might do it. Some straight males don't take no for an answer and this unofficial lesbian uniform acts as a barrier to male advances. There is also a case of "This is my thing and i'm gonna rock it" going on. Especially with people who have recently discovered they are gay.

Please don't panic! As with all things we do in our youth the novelty wears off! Think of all the daft fashion trends you might have had when you were young. This look is no different, she will grow up, being gay will just be part of who she is and not warrant any special dress code and she will most likely become a very classy young lady!

So hang in there, it will work out in the end!

SilverApples Mon 26-Aug-13 21:32:52

ZOMBIE THREAD!

2mums1teen Fri 07-Feb-14 22:17:08

As soon as i saw this topic i instantly thought of my wife Nade. She is seen as a boy by so many people because of her short hair, small frame and baggy clothes, but just because she appears a certain way on the outside definitely doesn't mean she's not a big girl on the inside grin.

2mums1teen Fri 07-Feb-14 22:21:48

I really should read previous discussions before typing blush

Reiltin Fri 07-Feb-14 22:25:09

You're only thinking in terms of one standard of beauty. In the lesbian community, there are different looks that are seen as traditionally 'sexy '. It sounds like she's fitting in just right grin

22honey Sun 18-May-14 22:06:22

'She doesn't want to look attractive to heterosexual men, she wants to look attractive to lesbians, because she is a lesbian. What her father perceives as attractive to him will be exactly what she is trying to avoid, so as to be basically invisible to the men mithering her throughout out her teens.'

I agree, as an attractive looking teen all the attention you get off men really is god awful and tedious. I'm 22 now and been sick of it for a long time so badly I actively make myself look unnattractive when I go out doing mundane things to avoid it and Im not even a lesbian, just in a LTR and not interested in attention from other males.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now