My son's just come out!

(34 Posts)
belcantwait Sun 03-Jul-11 12:02:38

am so proud and happy for him. He seems happy and confident smile)) that's all really just wanted to share the lovegrin

lisaro Thu 02-Feb-12 00:15:44

It's lovely he can happily be himself. And yes, people do sometimes know so early, and even earlier, so ignore the poster further up the thread.

OP, you sound a wonderful and supportive Mum and I'd be proud to have that close and loving relationship if I had a son too.

The fact that he can confide in you and have his feelings validated and lovingly accepted by his family will help him feel he can be proud of himself for being who he is whatever path it takes him down.

It will also make lifes battles that little bit easier!

suzy82 Fri 30-Mar-12 17:11:19

I've just been directed to these LGBT threads after my 14 year old son told me he was gay and, TBH, with my son it has not been obvious at all, even though we are very close. I think being supportive is the best thing we as parents can do and the world is a very different place these days, thank God. I love him whatever. So good to have contact with other parents in the same situation.

tectime Fri 06-Apr-12 07:39:15

I have recently joined the my company's LGBT group, as a means of embracing diversity more. I have been pilloried for my dated views on LG issues, on MN, and I have gained a better understanding though the LGBT.
My point is that those posters who want to know more can also benefit by seeking out LGBT groups where they can have face to face contact with others.

BigBadWolf33 Wed 25-Apr-12 18:49:31

YAAAAAAAAAAY :D

TinySarah Wed 09-May-12 11:39:28

I remember when my brother came out. It was really hard on him and my parents too, although they have been really supportive since. Other education and other mentality, I guess. It's nice to read experiences such as those on this thread, it makes you think the world is really showing signs of progression, which may be harder to notice in everyday life.

abdnshaz Sat 05-Jan-13 19:36:34

hi im new here so excuse me if i post something in the wrong place lol , My DS has just came out also , he is 15 and a half , i am very proud of him but i am a bit upset at myself .... he has been unhappy for years and couldnt come and talk to me about his feelings , i knew he was upset obviously but just put it down to sulky teens ... im a single parent of two and always thought we were close , now he has came out him himself is a lot happier and feels a sence of relief .. i on the other hand feel like i have let him down somehow .
what is the best way to shake this feeling off ? i guess being a parent always comes with guilt ....thanks abdnshaz xx

BrainGoneAwol Sat 05-Jan-13 20:05:12

Don't be hard on yourself, it's a huge thing to name yourself as gay and it may well be that he wasn't confident or sure that he wanted to claim that identity for himself until now.
Similarly he may have worried that he would upset you. Not because you disapprove but because you might blame yourself. It surprising how responsible children can feel for their parents happiness.

In time he may be able to tell you why he took a while but in the meantime keep doing what you are. You sound wonderfully supportive and close. smile

For the record I came out to my mum when I was 32! We are incredibly close, but I hadn't realised it about myself; though in hindsight it was obvious - Noone was surprised but me! There can be many reasons.

apatchylass Fri 03-May-13 22:16:51

Actually Orellia, I can see how it might be a case for pride and rallying, even in today's more open society. Because natural assumptions are that people will be heterosexual. And it is a little dismissive to assume he doesn't know yet. I knew I was heterosexual from about age 3. Couldn't put a name to it, but felt different cuddling male relatives, had a different response to seeing a stunning man from my physical response to seeing a stunning woman.

OP, I'm intrigued he's 'known' for 2 years, as my 10, almost 11 year old has just told me he thinks he's gay and I was a bit stunned by the complexity of how well he'd thought this through and why he thought it. he seems too young to be sexually aware in any way, and yet the romantic banter has begun at school.

I feel a bit worried for him. Unlike you, I hadn't a clue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now