Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Has anyone made a no fault claim with Albany Assistance? All advice much appreciated ......

(18 Posts)
Pineapplechunks Wed 25-Nov-09 10:43:36

Yesterday morning, on the way to school, someone drove into the back of us, we were stationary waiting for the person in front of us to turn right so we're not at fault.

The damage to my car didn't seem to bad, just a few dents and scratches in the back and it still drives fine so after checking everyone was alright and swapping details we carried on to school(we were still on time!).

When I got home I phoned my insurance company(Kwik Fit) to report it. Albany Assistance administer claims for Kwik Fit (and a lot of other major insurance brokers too). It seemed to be being dealt with very efficiently, I was given a garage to go to and get a repairs quote and have been told I will get a hire car when mine goes in for repair-all this claimed back from the other people's insurance because they were at fault.

They said I would need to sign a vehicle repair finance agreement and an associated credit protection policy before they could authorise the repairs to my car.

I've just googled Albany Assistance and the results aren't good. Lots of people saying that they're inept and their claims took months years even and that Albany overcharge for the use of the hire car so the other insurance company refuses to pay (apparently they can if the costs are too high?).

Have any MNers had any experience of Albany Assistance or have any advice about whats best to do as I'm really quite confused?

Rebeccaj Wed 25-Nov-09 12:52:08

They dealt with my case very quickly and efficiently, my car was mended within a few weeks (could have been quicker but we insisted on a dealer garage not a local one) but we didn't take a courtesy car as DH has a car as well. I don't remember signing anything like a finance agreement etc though and probably would refuse unless they gave me a very good reason!

Mine has ended up 50/50 as the other driver refused to admit liability, and with no independent witnesses there is nothing they can do.

Pineapplechunks Wed 25-Nov-09 14:58:03

Hi Rebeccaj,

Thanks for the reply and the vote of confidence for Albany.

Are you absolutely sure you didn't have to sign a vehicle repair finance agreement? What it basically says is that they will extend me credit to pay for the repairs to my car while they pursue the other party for the costs but ultimately the cost is mine to pay if the other side don't admit liability(she drove slap into the back of me while I was stationary so don't see how they can say otherwise but you never know!).

Thats where the credit protection policy comes into play, to protect me in case they won't pay so I don't have to.

I can see how it works, on paper, but after reading about other people being messed around and having to chase companies claiming money from them and being fobbed off with lots of insurance legal jargon I'm just not sure what to do. I just want my car fixed!

It was suggested on money saving expert (I think it was there) that it's a better idea to go with the other persons insurance company, they have rung and offered to take responsibility for the repairs and getting me a hire car, so there will be no chance of them refusing to pay the costs-sounds sensible, however, it was also said that they will use the cheapest garage possible and sub standard parts to keep their costs down. So what do I do.......??!!Gah!!

Rebeccaj Wed 25-Nov-09 19:01:50

No, definitely didn't sign anything like that and it makes no sense. Even if the other party doesn't admit liability, you shouldn't have to pay anything, your insurance company does it all. You should never have to pay any more than your excess - is that what they are referring to? If they admit liability, you should get your excess back, but lose it if you are at fault or it's judged 50/50. Is that what the finance agreement is referring to?

We insisted on a dealer garage. The car was a convertible barely a year old so there was no way I was letting Mr Bodgit from down the road near it grin

blushingm Fri 27-Nov-09 21:39:40

hi i work for a large insurer who use albany

if they deal with it with the finace agreement it usually means they are dealing on a credit basis - ie they get the third party isurer to pay for the repairs and if they wont then the cost comes bck to you. this takes away any risk they may run of not recovering the charges

i'd go back to kwik fit (assuming you are fully comp) an tell them you aren't happy and that you would feel more comfortable using your policy than a credit repair scheme

HipCat Wed 24-Mar-10 11:30:54

Hi, I did a search online for Albany Assistance as I have major problems with and found your review. We have had almost the same problem and I wonder how you have got on? My problem has been going on for 3 years and I have been left with a cabriolet which no longer works and various electrical issues which cannot be resolved now. The car was written off but Albany decided to try and repair it. I have been in 2 different garages a total of 20 times and Admiral Insurance have wiped their hands of it while Albany have ignored my mail since they promised to send out an "independent" engineer to resolve this once and for all. I have reported Albany to the Insurance Ombudsman and my solicitors are in the process of issuing writs to Albany and Admiral. Not entirely sure why I paid my insurance premiums when I have had to scrap my car as they haven't repaired it. Good luck, this company is the worst I've ever come across.

Natlee1210 Mon 28-Jan-13 21:08:06

Hi , i had a non fault claim with admiral , they said i should use albany ,, what a big mistake ....iv just received a 2000 pounds bill for the use of a small car they provided me for 3 weeks ,, and now makeing threats of court to me ,, stay away ,, bill should be 400 pound ,, they are a credit company of the gangster nature

Natlee1210 Mon 28-Jan-13 21:09:59

Albany asistance ,,,, stay well clear ,, please manage your own car ,,, you will get a nasty bill at the end ,, 5 times the cost of normal car rental ,, go hire your own car ,, they behave like gangsters too ,, im taking them to court

Natlee1210 Mon 28-Jan-13 21:12:57

Please be aware ,, of albany asistance ,, im shocked at how iv been trated by these people ,, they seem nice they you get a huge car rental bill , 5 times the actual cost ,, they are a credit company ,,be very aware ,, and stay well clear ,, they are only out to milk you ,of every penny they can ,, extotionate rates ,, criminals ,,

Natlee1210 Mon 28-Jan-13 21:14:18

Albany asistance ,,, GANGSTERS ,,, be aware ,, and stay well clear ,, nightmare

Natlee1210 Mon 28-Jan-13 21:16:01

Albany asistance are a credit company ,, their ask them what their rate is ,,, they wont tell you ,, its criminal how these people are allowed to scam honest young drivers ,,, stay away

KPeg Fri 26-Apr-13 17:17:22

I recently had a claim with Albany Assistance and although there was some confusion with regards to the delivery of the hire car to my work address, overall I would say that they were a great help. I was really shaken up after my accident and they seemed to take some of the stress away.

Grandma316 Wed 15-Oct-14 11:49:46

I just had a call from Albany Insurance saying there was some extra money (compensation) due me from an accident in my car. Having had no such accident I asked when - "in the last two years", and what is my vehicle type/ reg? "can't tell you that for data protection". I suggested the caller write to me with full details as I had no insurance claim. I suspect there is some sort of scam going on here. Anyone else had similar experience?

AlbanyAssistanceSocialMedia Tue 04-Nov-14 11:44:10

Hi Grandma316,

We'd like to assure you that Albany Assistance does not make unsolicited outbound calls to the public. However it has come to our attention that people have been receiving such calls, made in the name of 'Albany' or 'Albany Assistance'.

If you receive such calls from any company claiming to be 'Albany' or 'Albany Assistance' we would ask that you send details including the phone number used (if not withheld), the times and dates of calls and any other information you think may be relevant to quality@albanyassistance.co.uk - so we may investigate and take action.

Where we do need to contact our existing customers, for security purposes we take steps to verify both your and our identity before discussing any details.

We do not share customer information with third parties unless a customer provides their permission, and only then with companies directly relevant to a claim we are dealing with.

We advise all customers and members of the public to be vigilant and to exercise care when asked to providing personal details to 'cold' callers.

Thank you,

Sophie

pslatter Thu 04-Dec-14 12:54:07

DO NOT USE this firm
Random phone calls and cold calling are the norm.....
Called me twice and told me I had a claim open with them when I have no idea who they are!
Be every very aware - charlatans

AlbanyAssistanceSocialMedia Mon 08-Dec-14 14:48:09

Hi Pslatter,

It has come to our attention that people have been receiving such calls, made in the name of 'Albany' or 'Albany Assistance'.

If you receive such calls from any company claiming to be 'Albany' or 'Albany Assistance' we would ask that you send details including the phone number used (if not withheld), the times and dates of calls and any other information you think may be relevant to quality@albanyassistance.co.uk - so we may investigate and take action.

Thank you,

Sophie - Marketing Team

GnomieGrace Thu 11-Dec-14 20:21:43

Hi OP, I'm a manager in a large insurance company. I have 10yrs exp dealing with insurance both underwriting and claims. If I were you I take up the other insurance companies offer to sort your repairs out. The main reason insurance premiums are going up is due to inflated claims costs. I won't comment on a specific company but credit hire and repair firms similar to the one you have mentioned often add extra costs such as an admin fee, engineers fee etc etc now it sounds like there is no discussion about liability, the other insurance company has admitted fault. Often in these scenarios you don't pay your excess, known as being waived, also as the insurance company has full control over the repair and hire there are very rarely arguments about quantum. That's the fancy term for how much it cost. One thing to be aware of though, if you do go through the other insurance and you are not happy with the repairs your own insurance company will not get involved in a complaint this is rare but thought I would mention it.

GnomieGrace Thu 11-Dec-14 20:22:44

And I just realised how old this thread is hopefully op has their car back by now :-/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now