Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

on-line conveyancing - pros and cons?

(8 Posts)
43Today Wed 01-Apr-09 18:58:03

DP is selling his house and has had following quotes for conveyancing:

estate agents local solicitor - £650
on-line quotes from other solicitors - £350
quote from on-line conveyancers - £210

Has anyone experience of using on-line conveyancing? Which quote would you go for and why?

Would really appreciate your collective wisdom on this!

TIA

Lubyloo Wed 01-Apr-09 21:07:39

I would check what the cheaper quotes include. Do they include searches, VAT etc.

babyOcho Wed 01-Apr-09 21:10:40

We used an online service many years ago (I think is 2001). I cannot remember the name now, but they were really slow and it was hard to get good contact (solicitors are hard enough to get hold of anyway). In our experience it was really poor, to the extent that we think that it cost us our purchase.

For our next purchases we used a local place with an office which were easier to get hold of.

The only good thing about the online place was that we could see the documents real time.

43Today Wed 01-Apr-09 21:14:49

Thanks for the comments, it really helps! Any other opinions very welcome, thanks grin

ickletickle Wed 01-Apr-09 21:40:55

based on buy and sale of 4 properties, i would highly recommend a firm called shoosmiths who used last time round. i was a bit sceptical at first but they were fantastic, fixed costs, dont charge you if sale falls through (last sale fell through 3 times, so that was a godsend), kept us up to date at every step of the way. realise writing this i sound like an advert, sorry, just cant recommend the highly enough.

would use a local firm or an estate agents recommendation (on principle as they make enough bleeding money out of us) in my experience they take ages and sometimes arent property experts.

cfc Thu 02-Apr-09 09:52:37

Urgh, online conveyancing is the realm of the devil....fact.

lalalonglegs Thu 02-Apr-09 10:52:38

It really is worth having someone specific at the end of the phone you can talk to - moving is stressful enough without everyone passing the buck at some faceless conveyancing firm.

duncanpattinson Sat 25-Jun-16 13:21:06

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now