Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Need Advice With A Complaint to Sainsburys Please

(63 Posts)
Aimsmum Tue 08-Mar-05 18:57:36

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Tue 08-Mar-05 18:59:43

call again and tell them it is theft and you will give them 24 hours to refund the money to your account or you will start legal proceedings and involve the local media

insist on talking to a manager

I am very surprised at this I have always been offered an immediate refund (on credit card)

Freckle Tue 08-Mar-05 19:03:10

Also threaten to contact Trading Standards, Which? and Watchdog. Plus your local paper. Should make them sit up a bit.

norash40 Tue 08-Mar-05 19:03:28

When you order online, do you order from your local store? Sorry I don't know how it works.

Aimsmum Tue 08-Mar-05 19:07:13

Message withdrawn

norash40 Tue 08-Mar-05 19:08:36

because if this is the case then try and see the manager there and I am sure that this will be resolved immediately. Calling does not help because you are just a voice on the other end as far as they are concerned.

mckenzie Tue 08-Mar-05 19:10:05

pain in the butt I know but I would be inclined to phone the local store and ask to speak to the manager and arrange to go in and see him, take your receipts etc with you and insist that he sorts it out for you. Best to call first and arrange a time so that he is expecting you and you wont be kept hanging around while they find him or worse still, he's not available.

PiccadillyCircus Tue 08-Mar-05 19:10:46

Aimsmum, I've found some numbers which might be for head office:

J Sainsbury plc
33 Holborn
London
EC1N 2HT
Switchboard: 020 7695 6000
Fax: 020 7695 7610
Customer Careline: 0800 636 262
(or www.sainsburys.co.uk/contactus)

The 33 Holborn address does seem to be the head office I think.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

Twiglett Tue 08-Mar-05 19:11:50

Rubbish .. call again take names, write them down, ask them to spell them out, ask for the supervisor

Stores are 24 hours in the main how can there be no-one there ?

I wouldn't put up with it personally, I would tell them it is theft and you will treat it as such

PiccadillyCircus Tue 08-Mar-05 19:11:58

Found a Sainsburys to you helpline as well

Or ring the Sainsbury's to You customer helpline on 0845 301 20 20
Monday-Friday 8am-10.30pm
Saturday 8am-9pm
Sunday 10am-6pm

But I'm not sure if that is the one you might have tried already.

Twiglett Tue 08-Mar-05 19:15:26

Sainsbury's chief executive is called Justin King it seems (still looking for marketing director)

kid Tue 08-Mar-05 19:17:06

I've never shopped online with Sainsbury but have with tesco. I can't understand why they haven't already refunded the money .

I would send them another email, stating how unhappy you are with their service. Tell them that you want a reply to your email within 24 hours, and that you want a refund.

Also, if possible, visit your local store to speak to the manager. It will be harder for them to ignore you in person.

Twiglett Tue 08-Mar-05 19:18:05

Penny Slatter, head of online marketing for Sainsbury's (from Sept 2003 not sure if still there)

Amanda3266 Tue 08-Mar-05 19:19:18

Aimsmum, this is outrageous. They are patently in the wrong. This is theft, whether they like that term or not. Get straight onto the local paper and Trading Standards.

littlemissbossy Tue 08-Mar-05 19:20:56

Go to your local newspaper! a bit of bad publicity - that'll get your money back!!

littlemissbossy Tue 08-Mar-05 19:24:15

or threaten to write a letter to their chief exec, Justin King, naming the store manager

Aimsmum Tue 08-Mar-05 19:25:12

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Tue 08-Mar-05 19:26:34

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Tue 08-Mar-05 19:26:55

Ocado .. definitely .. if you want a £15 voucher off your first shop I can do it on their refer a friend scheme (you have to spend £75 but delivery is free) and you'll never have to shop again .. just let me have your email

GeorginaA Tue 08-Mar-05 19:29:59

Aimsmum - with all this hassle I would ask not only for a complete refund but some other form of goodwill (extra money, vouchers, bunch of flowers or whatever) - I'm shocked. Sainsburys Online isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination but they've always made good pronto whenever I've had any issues with them. I hope you get this sorted out fast.

tamum Tue 08-Mar-05 19:38:04

Ocado is no good for those of us in the frozen North, Twiglett <sob>

Aimsmum, it should say on your receipt thingy which store it comes from so that you can contact them directly. I would try that, and they're probably open now.

Aimsmum Tue 08-Mar-05 19:43:42

Message withdrawn

braid Tue 08-Mar-05 19:45:25

Aimsmum

I too had a horrendous experience with Sainsbury's on-line customer services some years ago. I have never shopped with them since. I use tescos and ocado. I won't bore you with the details but I just want to let you know your experience is not isolated. I recommend writing to Sainsbury's head office. The call centre was a contractor when I was dealing with them and there strategy seems to be as obstructive as possible.

Aimsmum Tue 08-Mar-05 19:45:36

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Tue 08-Mar-05 19:46:19

I didnae ken you was another scot sorry

tamum Tue 08-Mar-05 19:46:49

I don't suppose pretending you're a new customer and entering your postcode to "see if they deliver" would give it away would it?

tamum Tue 08-Mar-05 19:47:18

Twig, you speak like a natural born Scot

Twiglett Tue 08-Mar-05 19:49:09

My mum's from Glasgae

Aimsmum Tue 08-Mar-05 19:52:05

Message withdrawn

BadHair Tue 08-Mar-05 19:59:36

I would put your complaint in writing and enclose a copy of your receipt. Send it to the store manager (will be at the bottom of the receipt as someone else said) and to the Head Office.
I had a recent run-in with Tesco so I wrote to them and it's now been resolved. At the end of the day these stores want your custom, but they employ contractors to operate the callcentres, and they in turn employ halfwits who don't give a stuff to man the phone lines.
Keep on at them and you'll get the result you want.

Mirage Tue 08-Mar-05 20:01:49

I can't believe they won't credit your card straight away!!!!!

We use Tesco online for grocery shopping & I found that I'd got some stock cubes that were out of date.I rang up & they were credited to my card the same day.So it can be done!

I'm fuming on your behalf.

wordsmith Tue 08-Mar-05 20:03:31

This is not the first time I've heard of crap service from Sainsbury's online. Their actions are outrageous and I would definitely take it as high as you can go. Teling the press is a good one as well. Have you tried Radio 5 Live? They love stuff like this, I can just imagine the nation listening to it on Drive...

sis Tue 08-Mar-05 20:04:56

Aimsmum, you have sympathies - Sainburies online are rubbish. I got so fed up, that I have vowed never to shop with them again and I am usually very assertive when it comes to customer services! good luck and keep at it - don't let them get away with it like I did!

Aimsmum Tue 08-Mar-05 20:15:52

Message withdrawn

sweetkitty Tue 08-Mar-05 20:23:41

Sorry to hear your are having a nightmare about Sainsburys-to-you. I had an awful order last week loads of stupid substitutions and the driver wouldn't take my Pampers £1 off vouchers, when I wrote an e-mail and complained I was told that unless the voucher had a 16 digit code they could only be accepted instore. I wrote again asking them what was the point of an online service then?

They wrote back apologised and sent me a £10 voucher for my next shop. In the past I have asked them to refund my debit card directly but they need the actual card number but they can do it.

There service is by no means brilliant only marginally better than Tescos, the reason I use it is I still get my staff discount and before anyone says anything I have nothing to do with online shopping.

I would phone have a right go and hopefully you'll get a voucher as well.

Aimsmum Tue 08-Mar-05 20:35:36

Message withdrawn

Frieda Tue 08-Mar-05 20:54:04

Hi Aimsmum

I too had an awful experience with Sainsbury's online. I ordered a fridge freezer (after ours broke), which they told me would be delivered within two weeks. I chased them for a delivery date about ten days later, and after about 3 phonecalls, they admitted it wasn't in stock, but I would definitely get it the following week. After 3 or 4 more phonecalls (no one rang me back), they told me it hadn't come in yet, and probably would be another 3-4 weeks! So I cancelled (we were without a fridge, but thankfully, it was winter).

They had deducted the money from my credit card within minutes of my original order, but despite not ever having seen their fridge, and after 2 more phone calls and a letter, it took them about three and a half weeks to refund the money. No apology, no explanation and no offer to pay the interest I'd incurred on my credit card. I wrote an indignant letter to their head office, and got a reply stating that they were within their legal obligation to refund the money within 28 days. What I want to know is, if they have the technology to take my money instantaneously, why does it take about a million times longer to refund it? Particularly when I didn't even have the pleasure of their fridge and ran up heaven knows how much on my phone bill on their "national rate" number.

That's disgraceful that you haven't had a reply to your emails – and I'm sure there must be a head office (I'd give you the address of the one I wrote to, but think it's probably different from the groceries department – anyway, looks like you've been given contacts a-plenty here).

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Janh Tue 08-Mar-05 22:12:06

Sainsburys freephone no - 0800 636262 - options:

2 mailshot
3 Nectar
4 To You
0 Customer Care

(Customer Care should cover it in most cases )

From say no to 0870 . It doesn't always have an alternative number but worth checking before you ring anybody. If the number they give is a geographical one make sure you are using 18866 so the whole call will only cost 1p even if they keep you hanging on for hours. It is still frustrating but at least it isn't costing anything!

Alternatively start barraging (is that a word?) them with emails. It means you have a written record of what was done when.

Janh Tue 08-Mar-05 22:14:10

NB 0845 numbers cost 3p or 4p a minute so still bloody expensive. Always go for 0800, or geographic with 18866, if you possibly can. (I have a thing about 0870 and 0845, can you tell? )

lilsmum Tue 08-Mar-05 22:15:27

aimsmum, i dont know if anyone else has mentioned this... but when i took some clothes back to asda and wanted my money back, because i had paid on my switch card they would only put it back on my card, it took 5 days for it to go through!!!same thing happened when i paid my tv licence online, it went through twice by accident and that took 5 days to show back in my account even though they processed it the same day!!! sucks i know, but that is how they do it x

charleypops Tue 08-Mar-05 22:23:22

Aimsmum - you should send a link to this thread or print out a copy for them.

I hate cr*p like this

I called Ocado to tell them a couple of items hadn't been delivered, but charged for, and they re-credited dp's card immediately without being asked. I didn't even have to dig the card out.

Sorry you can't get Ocado, I hope Tesco works out for you.

GeorginaA Tue 08-Mar-05 22:24:11

Hmm... they can do it quicker than that though. I use Sainsburys every week and usually something gets sent back (usually an inappropriate substitution .... yes, that's a topic for another moan on another day) and am always credited back the money from the returned item(s) same day (at least that's how it appears on the bank statement).

So if someone is saying it takes 5 days then they're taking the piss... (either that or First Direct is just very very good and all other banks are really really crap - actually, yes... that's a possibility)

charleypops Tue 08-Mar-05 22:25:49

JanH - those links are great! I've bookmarked them

Janh Tue 08-Mar-05 22:36:02

They're great, aren't they, cp?

You have to register for 18866 before you can use it but that doesn't cost anything; then you dial 18866 before the number you want. (It means dialling about 16 digits just for a local call but still worth it. We've got digital phones now with a 200-number phonebook so I have all the codes pre-entered.)

There is also 1899 which is similar; cheaper for international calls and calls to mobiles, but its connection charge is 3p instead of 1p so slightly dearer for UK calls.

charleypops Tue 08-Mar-05 22:54:00

Fab - another one! I've made a little bookmark folder for them

Aimsmum Wed 09-Mar-05 10:01:18

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Wed 09-Mar-05 10:02:16

Message withdrawn

kid Wed 09-Mar-05 10:13:14

I would have expected a £10 gift voucher as well as the £35 refund. Keep pushing for it, you are definately eentitled to more than just a refund now (IMO)

Aimsmum Wed 09-Mar-05 20:02:26

Message withdrawn

GeorginaA Wed 09-Mar-05 21:08:04

A fortnight....?! Bloody hell what are they playing at?! on your behalf - well done you for keep fighting it.

colditzmum Wed 09-Mar-05 21:09:34

Local paper, local paper!!!!

Oh, and try to look impoverished when they do the photographs!!!

sweetkitty Wed 09-Mar-05 21:39:11

Aimsmum I technically do still work for Sainsburys so can't slate them too much (even though I don't have a job to go back to after mat leave)

I think it's disgusting that it takes 2 weeks for a refund, when I have been overcharged I have phoned customer services quoted my debit card number and been reimbursed within a few days.

I hate companies that rip you off like this, I was once charged for 3 freezers when I had ordered only one from a catalogue company took them 3 months to sort it out!

Aimsmum Sun 13-Mar-05 17:47:13

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Mon 14-Mar-05 07:33:27

good for you

I would write again thanking them for their response and asking for a full explanation of your shoddy treatment and whether they will be re-training their staff, ask them to respond within 14 days as you are still extremely upset by their callous treatment

see what happens then

agisade Wed 03-Dec-08 09:04:02

hello.i hope someone has some advice to what i can do next a lawyer maybe..recently i purchased some nappies from sainsburys,to my horror when i took one nappy out there was a red stain which i believed was blood,the next day i took the whole packet back to the store and was told the nappy would be sent to head office and and they will investigate. few weeks later i recieve a letter an apology and a 15 pound voucher but no answers because convienetaly the nappy has been lost . i was so angry i phoned the head office and spoke to a manager who was a mother and said this was unacceptable and that she would get to the bottom of this,she also said it could have possibly been a blood stain has the nappies are handled by workers.next day i recieved a call just to assure me that this was being investigated.
that was 3 weeks ago no call,last week i emailed customer services no reply.what is the next step??

lilpol Fri 27-Feb-09 23:11:35

Just read your message of the INCOMPEDENCE OF SAINSBURYS ON LINE SHOPPING.I to have had an horrendous experience. will never shop with them again. THEY NEED TO TAKE A LEAF OUT OF TESCO BOOK. THEY HAVE GREAT CUST SERVICE

scrooged Fri 27-Feb-09 23:15:51

You know this thread is from March 2005 don't you? wink

lilpol Fri 27-Feb-09 23:24:43

LOL yes i know. but don t know where to enter new discussion, just thought i would add on to the sainsburys moan line.

onadietcokebreak Fri 27-Feb-09 23:26:43

At the top its says enter a new thread in this topic..

prob get more impact if you start new thread

lilpol Fri 27-Feb-09 23:27:28

Any way just goes to show that SAINSBURYS ON LINE WERE GETTING IT WRONG 4 YRS AGO AND NOTHING CHANGES,wink

StarG Tue 01-Sep-09 20:56:59

hello all

I found a bar of chocolate that was clearly half eaten by a rat (Whitechapel branch, London) - staff there were also horrified and refused to touch it and offered me another bar of the same chocolate from the same shelf!!!

Anyway, I am horrified (in general the store is a mess compared to their Finchley road branch) and staff rude, unhelpful, understaffed in general.

What numbers can I call and who should I write to? Anyone have a number for Head Office??

Thanks in advance...

Abubu Fri 04-Sep-09 16:58:18

The bit where you said they laughed at you made me mad.

A few years ago DH and I travelled air france to China. We got to Beijing airport for our return flight and were told that they had overbooked by about 50 people and that we weren't going to be on that flight!

Everyone was furious but they did nothing to help. I complained to one guy and he just looked at me, laughed then walked away.

Amazing.

dilemma456 Sat 05-Sep-09 09:24:17

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now