Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can you claim tax credits while self employed

(15 Posts)
neverforget Sat 13-Sep-08 17:58:39

Because registered as self employed on 29th and then told tax credits and they have sent me a letter to say im not entitled to child or working tax credits, Help!

bubblerock Sat 13-Sep-08 18:12:19

I'm self employed and claim WFTC & CTC!!

neverforget Sat 13-Sep-08 18:17:07

well thats what i thought, i think it may be a mistake cause they are saying that the amount for the period is 0 and amount paid is 0 and the amount I have to pay back is 0 but they have been paying me so im really confused. My other concern is that I am seperated from dh and have been since January and been getting tax credits letters with just my name on but this has both [confused emotion]

avenanap Sat 13-Sep-08 18:18:17

I'm self employed to and also get WFTC and CTC. It sounds like they have messed up. Again!

boredveryverybored Sat 13-Sep-08 18:19:50

If you've gotton a letter with both of your names on, then it will be referring to the previous award hence the 0's. You are entitled to WTC if you're self employed and you'll prob get another letter with current circs on

hth

mommy6 Sat 13-Sep-08 18:20:06

knowing them they have forgot that you have seperated from your h.

boredveryverybored Sat 13-Sep-08 18:20:19

Am tax credit officer btw

avenanap Sat 13-Sep-08 18:21:19

And we all love you boredveryverybored. grin

boredveryverybored Sat 13-Sep-08 18:21:46

Lol

neverforget Sat 13-Sep-08 18:23:16

Boredverybored oo thankyou, Im worried sick here lol because I cant afford not to have this money

neverforget Sat 13-Sep-08 18:24:56

its also says that as only a small amount is involved, (i.e £0.00) no further action will be taken to collect it. So they arent going to chase me to collect £0.00 grin

boredveryverybored Sat 13-Sep-08 18:28:19

The letters are stupid, auto generated so they all say the same thing whether you owe anything or not.
I got one that confused me the other day aswell. I've just changed my circs with them, and they sent a copy of my 07/08 award hmmI got new one a few days later.
Sounds like similar thing has happened to you. I have no idea why they do that though!

neverforget Sat 13-Sep-08 18:39:39

lol thanks very much boredverybored, hope something else comes innext few days

neverforget Tue 16-Sep-08 14:12:16

THANKS BOREDVERYBORED

It was as you said and I was worrying for nothing grin

andy0948 Tue 30-Aug-16 11:40:08

can anyone help me. I'm thinking of becoming self employed. can I still claim work and family tax credits?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now