Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How long does it take to process child benefit?

(6 Posts)
Benjy Thu 07-Aug-08 17:29:21

I gave birth to my first child 4 weeks ago. I phoned the Council a few days after the birth to make an appointment to register the birth. The first appointment they could offer me was for 3 September, two months after dd's birthdate. I know child benefit is only backdated for a maximum of three months so I was wondering how long it has taken to process other people's claims. Am I likely to lose out and, if so, is there anything I can do about it? Ditto for child tax credits.

elkiedee Thu 07-Aug-08 17:47:53

Fill in the rest of the form while you're waiting, so it's ready, and post it as soon as you get the certificates back. The backdating would be from receipt of your claim, not from date it's processed, so you should be ok.

I can't remember now but I think I may have only needed birth certificate for one of these applications - child benefit - and not the other - CTC. But if you do need the certificate, again, get the claim pack and fill it all in ready in advance.

Once I had what I needed and sent the forms in my claims were processed reasonably fast I think.

Was your baby born in the same council area you live in? I only ask because in London where I live, I was advised I would have to register baby in borough he was born in (where hospital is) and they couldn't give me an appointment for over 6 weeks. I also needed a passport and to book flights, and found out that my local council could give us an appointment in 2 weeks, and then send the paperwork to where he was born. We don't have any maternity wards within our borough, which presumably accounts for the difference in waiting times for appointments.

Ewe Thu 07-Aug-08 17:57:07

Most registry offices have a drop in session in my experience - have you looked into that?

karpatukas Fri 03-Dec-10 15:29:37

Hi, guys! I was away for a year because of my studies, and now I am back, I let know the Child Benefit Office about changes, so they could start paying the Child Benefit again, however it took so long for them, sending me again those different forms of circumstanes change.. I am now waiting like 6 months for it, and they know that. Will they pay me only 3 last months for baby even though they registered my letter about changes oficially in September? Thanks Ana

internationaldad Sat 04-Dec-10 13:20:46

Sorry karpatukas - can't answer your question. Hopefully someone else can.

I've got an additional question myself:

Have now had notification letter that have been approved for Child Benefit, but was no mention at all as to when the payments will start / be made. Will it be within a few days or is there a delay until money goes into the bank account?

Any info from others experience appreciated.

karpatukas Thu 13-Jan-11 15:22:47

They will pay in a couple of day if they own you I have actually sorted my CB out, they backdated my payment up to 8 months, can u believe this? I am so glad, good luck to everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now