Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Does anybody know how easy it is to get credit at DFS or similar? Please!

(8 Posts)

I'm quite new to this site although have posted a couple of times under other name - likemylife. Anyway, my XP took out a lot of credit (loans, credit cards, HP etc.) in my name whilst we were together - stupid of me to let him i know but i've definitely learnt from this mistake! When we split up 2 years ago, he refused to carry on re-paying these debts back and so as they were solely in my name i was stuck with them. I really struggled with keeping all the payments up to date (especially as he didnt even pay me any maintenance!) and nearly lost my house amongst other things because i fell behind with the rent. I got into such a hole that i ended up with 4 CCJ's against my name and thought that there was no way out. I was then promoted at work and with the increase in salary and my newly found determination to 'sort myself out', i made arrangements with all my creditors to pay back these debts monthly. I am still up to date with all of my payments however i know my credit rating will be really bad now. Having said that, i applied for a catalogue account shortly after xmas this year and was accepted! I have also kept all these payments up to date and so hopefully this will be helping to strengthen my credit rating. The question i have is: does anybody know how easy it is to get accepted for credit at DFS or somewhere similar? My 3 piece suite was 'given' to us 8 years ago when we moved in here and was just about on its last legs then! I am now in a position where i can afford a little more each month and would love to get a new suite but, i would be so embarrassed if i was turned down for credit in store
does anybody have any experience of this or know which stores are more lenient? I really dont want to have to go to one of those stores who charge ridiculous levels of interest - the likes of Brighthouse - but unsure if there are any others out there who would accept me?

Why don't you get your credit report first and find out? It only costs a couple of pounds and then you'd know your situation.

LoveMyGirls Wed 23-May-07 21:53:15

We didnt think we'd get it so we ordered a suite, a week later we hadn't heard anything so we phoned to see what had happened only to find out we passed and it was being delivered a couple of weeks later

It was all dp's stupid idea!

whomovedmychocolate - i have seen my credit report from experian after signing up to their online service and it is pretty shocking tbh! having said that, as well as the bad things on there, there are also some things which i have never defaulted on - mobile phone, catalogue, car HP. I would just hate to be humiliated in store by being told id failed the credit check!
Lovemygirls - wow im that you have a new suite!! Sorry if this is too personal but have you ccj's on your file? tell me to mind my own business if you like!

bump

lovemybed Mon 28-May-07 16:34:49

i applied for my new sofa from land of leather it was all done online so no embarrasment if it was not accepted, i dont have any ccjs or anything like that but i stay in a army house (which because of high turnover of people can make things difficult) and also i was sahm at the time and it went through fine.

LoveMyGirls Mon 28-May-07 16:39:47

It was a few years ago now, so the suite is not so new and because we didnt measure it, it was too big for the room so after about 18mths it ended up at my mums and we will selling it to dp's sister in a couple of mths for less than a quarter of what we brought it for!! Yes I had a ccj then but dp didnt and it was all in his name, think he was only earning about £13,000 a yr when we got it as well.

Thanks. I think i'll try land of leather online and if that fails then ill know not to even attempt anywhere else! Lovemygirls, thanks for the advice re: measuring - i would never of thought about doing that but will do now!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now