Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help! How can I get my refund?

(9 Posts)
bedelia Mon 28-Nov-16 14:25:27

For my birthday, family clubbed together to give me the money for a rather extravagant, very limited edition purchase from a large and well-known London store. On the day it was released, I purchased online and paid by Paypal.

The next day I logged into my account and saw that my order was still pending. Bearing in mind that this was a large purchase for me (and one I was very much looking forward to receiving) I called customer services to see if everything was okay.

CS told me that there was a problem processing orders paid via Paypal and advised me to place a second order. I placed my order over the phone (mail order), paid using my debit card and was told my first order would be cancelled. I asked for email confirmation, but didn't receive an email.

So the next day I called again to query the lack of email. Was told everything was fine, first order cancelled second order was being processed.

When my parcel arrived, I realised this was actually the first, Paypal order, which had obviously not been cancelled. Checked my bank and discovered both orders had been processed.

Called CS again and was advised that the second order had already been dispatched, that I should refuse delivery and it would be returned. That a full refund should follow 3-5 days after the shop received the return.

Later that week I called to confirm they had received the returned, unopened parcel and that my refund was on it's way.

A week later, I received a voicemail from the Mail Order department querying the reason for return as no reason was stated on the return form. Clearly this was because the parcel had been returned unopened.

Called CS again to confirm that I wanted a refund, explained the whole story again, and was told refund was on it's way, 3-5 days...

This was a month ago. Since then I have called CS umpteen times, been advised someone would call me back many many times (but no-one ever has) and am really rather fed up.

Resorted to Twitter last week and asked how to complain. Finally someone "reached out" by email to which I responded. Since then, nothing. No response, call not returned again. And still no refund.

Apologies for the long story. This has left me with a huge, unexpected hole in my budget. I have asked repeatedly for an order number or some sort of reference but have not received anything. The only "receipt" I have for the second order is the transaction on my bank statement.

What can I do to get a refund? Thanks in advance for any advice.

cazzyg Mon 28-Nov-16 15:17:38

Can you raise a dispute with PayPal?

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Mon 28-Nov-16 15:19:55

Yep, a PayPal dispute is appropriate. You could also name and shame the company on their social media pages if they have them. I find that tends to focus their attention.

idontlikealdi Mon 28-Nov-16 15:20:29

Is it a store or private seller?

Get back on to Twitter.

Longdistance Mon 28-Nov-16 15:23:31

Ring them back, very sternly raise your voice, that no you will not wait for someone to ring you back and he fobbed off again, and you'd like to speak to who's in charge as it's an unacceptable level of service they have so far provided.

chocolatecakemakesmefat Mon 28-Nov-16 15:28:03

Phone your bank Paypal won't do anything if you already have there order the bank can claw back the money your owed smile

ZbZb Mon 28-Nov-16 15:30:17

That's really annoying. I'd keep phoning and phoning. Which store was it?

akkakk Mon 28-Nov-16 15:34:47

cancel through paypal - work on the basis that your bank payment paid for the received one and paypal will almost always side with you...

bedelia Mon 28-Nov-16 18:14:16

I was tempted to try the PayPal dispute route, but I paid for the first order with Paypal (the one I opened), the second was with my debit card.

The amounts are also slightly different, as when ordering on the phone I asked for next day delivery (which wasn't available on the website).

Will try calling the bank then. I've looked up how to request a chargeback, just unsure whether or not it would be appropriate in this case.

I've already called the shop out on Twitter (it is a large and famous department store). Had a response the first time via email, but nothing since. May try Facebook next, and I believe the shop also has an instagram account.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now