Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is CHB child benefit? Money appeared in my account

(27 Posts)
MummytoLeoxx Sat 26-Nov-16 22:26:45

I'm having a really really strange day today!
I've not long posted a thread about how I wanted to buy myself some hair extensions but couldn't really afford it just checked my bank account before buying them and tada £788 has gone into my account and it says CHB. Obviously this is not for me so I won't be touching it and will be contacting the bank in the morning. I've also had £55 taken out at a petrol station I know where it is but I haven't been there in years. To top It off I had a letter this morning from debt collectors saying i got on a train in Sheffield and got caught and didn't pay my fare (I live in the Midlands) saying I owe them a grand for this fine.
But I am guessing CHB is child benefit right?

AliceInHinterland Sat 26-Nov-16 22:28:03

Yes, that's how mine shows.

ItchyFoot Sat 26-Nov-16 22:29:19

Yep

gamerchick Sat 26-Nov-16 22:32:51

Yeah and there seems to be something odd going on with your identity. You need to look into that asap in case someone's pinched it.

Becca19962014 Sat 26-Nov-16 22:45:26

Have you used your bank card in an usual shop or online?

Definitely look into this tomorrow - I've had my identity stolen and it's a nightmare to sort.

MummytoLeoxx Sat 26-Nov-16 22:51:34

Not that I can think off only my usual shops that I go too. I've been racking my brains I'm so paranoid now! I've moved all the money in to my savings account because if someone has used my card details they will probably use it again.
The only thing I can think of is I dropped my my bank card in the town centre a few weeks ago and this lady on Facebook messaged me and I went and picked it up from her. But still it says debit card transaction so someone would of had to of taken my card.

gamerchick Sat 26-Nov-16 23:10:36

Ring your bank and get your card stopped. There should be a fraud team available on a weekend if I'm thinking right.

MummytoLeoxx Sat 26-Nov-16 23:12:36

I already called and there closed will ring back in the morning.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 26-Nov-16 23:13:48

There should be a 24 hour. Umber on the back of your card. I'd call now

BackforGood Sat 26-Nov-16 23:15:56

There's a 24 hr number for reporting a stolen card / card fraud. Don't wait.

Becca19962014 Sat 26-Nov-16 23:17:27

It's good you've cleared money to your savings account. You also must order a new card (I'd expect your bank to tell you that).

If you ever drop a card again then get it cancelled straight away and get a new one, don't wait for it to be found/tell people (other than bank it is lost) as they can be cloned. Unfortundately your bank will likely not refund any money taken because of this. You'll need to contact the debt collectors to find out what's going on with the train fare dodge as well - did this lady know you or your address?

I hope you've caught it early and can sort it. Mine led to false accounts being opened in my name which is why you need to let everyone know.

Becca19962014 Sat 26-Nov-16 23:19:37

I forgot phone the 24 hour number that will put a stop on the card being used from now, you are liable until that is done for anything the card is used for. They're always 24 hour for this reason, though obviously you'll need all of your card details.

Please don't delay.

Becca19962014 Sat 26-Nov-16 23:20:15

X-post with others.

MummytoLeoxx Sun 27-Nov-16 09:11:54

I've called the bank they confirmed that someone used my card at a petrol station and they never used my card but the details had been typed in online. I wonder if they couldn't afford the petrol and just gave card details I'm sure you can do this if you don't have your card.

LIZS Sun 27-Nov-16 09:14:51

It could have been cloned. Do you use contactless?

MummytoLeoxx Sun 27-Nov-16 09:29:19

Yup I tend to use it for small purchases.
How scary! They have refunded me the £55
I'm going to be a lot more careful now.

Becca19962014 Sun 27-Nov-16 11:56:21

You'll probably find you get calls from the bank now if there's any unusual activity e.g. Purchases in another town. That's totally normal in these circumstances.

Also, never allow someone to use contactless if the device is not in front of you - I personally never use it at all.

Becca19962014 Sun 27-Nov-16 11:56:47

Good news about the £55!

MummytoLeoxx Mon 28-Nov-16 11:30:05

My brothers ex was meant to have child benefit go into my mums account but she hasn't received it. Could this money be hers? is that even possible for this to happen?
I don't want to mention that I have the money because I know she will say straight away that it's hers. My bank have told me to leave it alone because it might get claimed back.

LIZS Mon 28-Nov-16 11:32:48

Who would have give them your account details though confused can you query it with CB office?

MummytoLeoxx Mon 28-Nov-16 11:35:03

This is what I mean I'm so confused the claim is in my brothers name and he's not here to call up. Would they even confirm the bank details over the phone or would the be breaching data protection?

EggnoggAndMulledWine Mon 28-Nov-16 11:35:24

hwo would of it of gone into yours that doesn't make sense if she didn't give your name and bank details. Could she of known them?

Have you contacted the train station? I'd also check your Credit profile incase anything else has been taken out.

LIZS Mon 28-Nov-16 11:39:08

Just ring up and say the amount has appeared unexpectedly in your account. You don't need to involve the family.

fuzzywuzzy Mon 28-Nov-16 11:39:39

It's very unlikely the child benefit for your brother's girlfriend has gone into your account unless she has your bank details.

Call child benefit and give them the ref number that appears on the bank statement that will help them track down who it should go to and take it back.

MummytoLeoxx Mon 28-Nov-16 13:12:15

What a nightmare child benefit can't do anything I've rang my bank again it's like there not interested. They can't return the payment! I don't want it messing up my bills and direct debits incase it was to go into that. HMRC said they can't confirm the bank account with my brother because that's data protection.
I don't want this money to keep going into my bank. I'm just not going to mention the money to my brother or his ex because I don't want to get myself in any trouble.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now