Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Seeking accounts w/ jars / pots

(9 Posts)
bentoni Mon 14-Nov-16 18:59:08

I'm looking to open an account with different 'jars' or pots of money you can label.

IF (Intelligent Finance) aren't opening any new accounts apparently so I can't use that...

I need the pots because I've got little self discipline when it comes to money! sad

What does everyone else do in this situation?

MollyRedskirts Mon 14-Nov-16 19:01:03

I didn't know such a thing existed! I manage my money in 'pots', but I just have multiple accounts with the same bank. I can see them all in online banking and I just transfer money between them.

cozietoesie Mon 14-Nov-16 19:04:44

What sort of size of pot are you talking about?

HairyScaryMonster Mon 14-Nov-16 19:07:55

We have Halifax who allow you to connect savings accounts and name them. No restrictions of withdrawal tho.

lemonlove Mon 14-Nov-16 19:13:21

Most banks allow you to open instant access savings accounts with them, you can have several which serve as a different pot. I know Barclays, Lloyds, TSB and Metro all offer this. They will usually open the savings account immediately if you log into your current account online and apply on the website. Each savings account is a separate account with its own account number, but it's quick and easy to move money between them and your current account, and they're all visible when you log onto online banking. The interest rates are usually poor but I only use them for short term savings of small amounts so it doesn't bother me.

LighthouseLass Mon 14-Nov-16 19:26:11

TSB has 'Money Planner', which allows you to set savings goals or divide money even within the one account. Saves you opening several accounts and shows you graphs, projections, etc.

www.tsb.co.uk/help/internet-banking/money-planner/#

HerRoyalNotness Mon 14-Nov-16 19:34:01

I have different savings accts for different ourposes, the dc have their own each, a uni saving acct, a specific saving and an oh fuck saving acct.

I keep track in a spreadsheet, the specific saving for instance holds all of the money for yearly bills, so insurance, professional fees, house maintenance, boiler repairs etc.

It works for me, but I'm very anal about it all, so I find it easy to keep it updated.

HerRoyalNotness Mon 14-Nov-16 19:34:42

.... and I move the money in monthly to he different accts to cover upcoming bills

Lollollollol Tue 15-Nov-16 19:20:38

One of my DDs who is at Uni has her money in one account but logs every thing she spend on her phone. She says it doesn't take a moment. She sort of allocates her money to 'virtual' pots rather than real ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now