Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help! Does child tax credit include the childcare

(18 Posts)
MyMorningHasBroken Thu 03-Nov-16 14:52:19

Hi, I've recently changed from tax credits to working tax credits and sent in details of all my childcare costs which amount to £700 +
I just checked online and my Child tax credit has now gone down to just over £200
Does this include the childcare element?
If it does, I don't think I'll be able to work!
Freaking out!

ivehadenough10 Thu 03-Nov-16 15:42:27

Hi,
Sorry i don't know the answer but that doesn't sound right.
I've just updated them with my childcare details, can i ask how long they took before they updated your claim?

Leatherboundanddown Thu 03-Nov-16 16:29:11

Working tax credits and child tax credits are usually listed separately on my letters. when it is paid to me it says 'Child and working tax credit' in my bank account.

Have you had a letter from them explaining the breakdown?

Childcare element comes under working tax credits.

MyMorningHasBroken Thu 03-Nov-16 17:27:12

Thank you, I did it online and it's been updated in 2 days. My housing has been stopped and obviously my income support too and I'm only doing 25 hours a week on 8.39p/h so really worried!
It says I'll only be getting £39 or so for my working tax credits so it won't be that.
sad

AndNowItsSeven Thu 03-Nov-16 17:29:44

Childcare is a separate element of working tax credit it is not child tax credit. So you get wtc £39 plus childcare element of wtc plus working tax credit.

MyMorningHasBroken Thu 03-Nov-16 17:29:48

I've had enough - my payment of £250 or so is due next Tuesday which will replace the £659 I got before!
I've had to pay about £800 up front in childcare fees for my three children so I am really worried now.

MyMorningHasBroken Thu 03-Nov-16 17:31:02

Andnow, maybe they haven't worked it out yet?

ivehadenough10 Thu 03-Nov-16 17:39:13

That doesn't sound right. I thought they pay 70% of childcare.

I updated my childcare over a week ago and it still hasn't been updated online but it says it can take up to 4 weeks.

ivehadenough10 Thu 03-Nov-16 17:40:39

Was the £695 payment what you received before you started working without childcare? X

datingbarb Thu 03-Nov-16 17:45:22

Online changed can take up to 4 weeks which is why you get the 4 week run on

When I went back to work s few months ago what was showing online was wrong until they updated

You then get a few lump sums for the childcare, money owed etc

MyMorningHasBroken Thu 03-Nov-16 17:52:37

Yes I'vehadenough for the 3 of them x
Thank you dating . I hope it works out in the end OK.

RebootYourEngine Thu 03-Nov-16 18:06:57

You get 'up to' 70% of your childcare paid for. I only used to get 1/3 of mine paid.

morning i would give them a phone and ask them to break it down and to check that they have all of your details right. Maybe you have been overpaid and they have reduced your payments to sort it out.

NyronNosworthy Thu 03-Nov-16 18:11:26

It may be a one off payment before your regular payments start. Ring the helpline and ask. The online account will only show 1x Payment and childcare changes usually means a one off payment will be made.

ivehadenough10 Thu 03-Nov-16 18:27:22

Datingbarb, what is the four week run on?

BoydCrowdersTeeth Thu 03-Nov-16 18:46:00

perhaps the £250 is weekly?

AndNowItsSeven Thu 03-Nov-16 19:01:57

Sorry meant to say plus ctc.

MyMorningHasBroken Thu 03-Nov-16 19:14:50

Reboot that's true, 'up to' 70% which means I could actually be worse off working I guess if that's the case. I really hope not though because I'm enjoying being back at work even though it's meant taking a lot less pay after a few years off work to bring up the kids. (split with husband last year so now on my own)

CurtainsforRonnie Thu 03-Nov-16 20:47:20

It could be a one off payment or a weekly sum?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now