Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Benefit Cap....

(16 Posts)
Sammysamread34 Fri 28-Oct-16 00:33:32

I understand totally what they're trying to do. ...but I'm sooooo stressed about this I don't know what to do!
Separated 2 yrs ago. ..lost house, no savings, no nothing. Managed to private rent as housing were going to stick myself and 3 dc's into bedsit miles away.
Anyway. ...so couldnt work as my dd wasn't at nursery etc. ..too young. She's now entitled to the 5 sessions ( 2 and half days)...but the benefit cap coming in means that my housing benefit is slashed by over half! The only way to avoid is to be entitled to working tax creeds (ie working at least 16 hrs a wk).
I can't even fit that many hrs into the tiime my youngest is at nursery. ..so I don't understand what I'm supposed to do! I'd have to find an extra 700 per month for the rent. ...I already have to find 200, which is near impossible.
Help...is there nothing else I can do until she's at school with my other 2 dcs?!

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Fri 28-Oct-16 00:38:19

Ask for higher child maintenance?

Babyroobs Fri 28-Oct-16 00:40:27

I think they are going to be increasing the number of hours of free childcare to 30hrs per week which should help if it goes ahead. In the meantime you could use a childminder or pay for extra hours at nursery and claim the childcare element of tax credits. They will pay up to 70% of your childcare costs depending on your income. !6 hours a week is only 2 days working although I understand part time jobs are not always easy to come by.

Sammysamread34 Fri 28-Oct-16 00:52:30

It's not really 2 days work. ...as a nursery 'session' by the government's standard is 3 hrs....ie 5 sessions are 2 and half days. ...and I'm talking 9-3...so my working day is restricted to 9.30 to 2.30. agreafter travel.

Also. ..with regards to child maintenance, it's a joke....I get nothing for all 3 children. ..and haven't done in 2 and half years.

sunshineintheclouds Fri 28-Oct-16 00:54:05

A job and childcare??

Sammysamread34 Fri 28-Oct-16 00:54:13

Although if they do increase will help. ..as I can't afford to pay for the nursery before they backdate pyments for it. I just feel like I've worked hard all my life, but now I've been kicked to curb and it just keeps getting worse!

Manumission Fri 28-Oct-16 00:59:36

Why can't you use your free hours at an all day nursery and top up the fees with childcare tax credits?

Are you in Wales?

Sammysamread34 Fri 28-Oct-16 01:04:20

But how do I can I afford childcare with the handful of hours plus the rent top up? Maybe I'm just over tired and can't see the woods for the trees. ...

Sammysamread34 Fri 28-Oct-16 01:05:22

How do childcare tax credits work? ...and no I'm in south East England

Manumission Fri 28-Oct-16 01:06:04

CHILDCARE TAX CREDITS!!! smile

You're so tired, you're not reading us properly wink

Manumission Fri 28-Oct-16 01:08:06

You claim child andcworking tax credits in the normal way and you also give the tax credit helpline detsilsvif your childcare provider and costs. You'll get 70% of your childcare bill up to a certain limit back with your tax credits payment.

Manumission Fri 28-Oct-16 01:09:55

Excuse typos.

Try the calculator here;

entitledto.co.uk

Sammysamread34 Fri 28-Oct-16 01:13:15

I am soooo tired! confusedgrin! Thankyou. ...I shall look into tomorrow. ...after I have slept! blush

Manumission Fri 28-Oct-16 01:14:36

YW grin

SillySongsWithLarry Fri 28-Oct-16 05:24:44

I worked full time 37 hours a week from when youngest DD was 2. Childcare tax credits and regular tax credits topped my wages up to a level that was liveable. And now DCs are older my career has progressed and earnings increased. Benefits are being cut to the bone so people will have no choice but to work.

Babyroobs Fri 28-Oct-16 14:54:43

Does your children's dad have them at all over the weekend or ? Could you look at working when he has them so that he can cover some of the childcare?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now