Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Has anyone used 1st Central Insurance? Worst treatment EVER!

(8 Posts)
MissPoppy Thu 27-Oct-16 12:01:05

Has anyone used this car insurance company? I am a single mother with a disabled child, I insurance my car through them as they came up really cheap on comparison website (should have known better!) anyone they waited until the 14 days cancellation was up before asking for documents and then more than doubled it! I said I cannot afford it then and they want near to £200 to cancel. Can a company behave like this? anyone used them before? so upset

Rockchick1984 Thu 27-Oct-16 12:09:14

What documents did they need, and why couldn't you provide them?

IceLemonGin Thu 27-Oct-16 12:11:01

If it was the proof of no claims they needed to see then I think most companies require this within the same timescale.

HalloToJasonIsaacs Thu 27-Oct-16 12:11:04

Seconded - what exactly were they asking for? Was it proof of NCB?

MissPoppy Thu 27-Oct-16 17:29:42

They had entered my details incorrectly on their data base which meant that I had to send in numerous papers to verify my existence. This took 17 emails to sort out from me. I called them daily and they would say, could you send it again....or can you send another document. I informed them that I had nine years NCD but as I had driven a mobility car for the last four years they said after three weeks that I could not use my NCD and therefore doubled my insurance. If this had been sorted within the 14 days then I could have told them that the revised quote was way too expensive i.e. from £280.00 to £620 and that I would have to go else where. As it was over 14 days then want over £150 for me to cancel. I feel like I have been punched in the face and charged for the privilege. I have since read many similar reports on trust pilot so I guess I am not the only one who finds this company out of line.

1stCentral Fri 28-Oct-16 10:57:15

Hi MissPoppy, thank you for sharing your experience. Would you mind emailing your policy reference number to customer.relations@1stcentral.co.uk so that we can attempt to resolve this for you? Thanks again, Vicky

Thinnestofthinice Fri 28-Oct-16 20:58:49

Hope the above helps you out. I remember going back to square one after being a 'named driver' on a car for a good few years- they were the only company to take me on fairly cheaply. It did feel like pauper's insurance and they were very unhelpful in every way when I needed to contact them- I'm just grateful I didn't need to ever make a claim with them!

MissPoppy Sat 29-Oct-16 14:37:52

yes now moved to a high street company, sorted out in five minutes and for the same cheap price! wish I had done this in the first place. I went with A Plan, they are a broker but for the £20 fee then found me a cheap quote without the hassle. Live and Learn!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now