Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Skint post separation

(5 Posts)
bikerlou Mon 24-Oct-16 22:12:20

I'm pretty skint post marriage break up. I thought I'd rent a room out to a professional lady and put an ad on a reputable site SpareRoom.co.uk only to have all of the worlds nutters and conmen answering my ad, I now trust nobody and am fearful of renting my room out to a crazy person.
Has anyone successfully rented one of their rooms out without being murdered as they slept or anything?

YelloDraw Tue 25-Oct-16 13:57:05

Yes.

I rented 2x rooms out for 4 years. Did it through easyroommate and spareroom.co.uk

I made it more of an equal 'house share' situation than a strange 'lodger you can't use the sitting room and can only use the washing machine on Tuesdays between 2-3' type thing.

Generally had quite a lot of interest, had the most likely sounding 5-8 people come round to view the house and to have a cup of tea and a chat with. Picked people based on that. Anyone that refused the offer of a cup of tea / coffee/ water and a chat wasn't considered.

Had a couple of crazies come round but not too many as a I pre-vetted.

Found it pretty easy to rent out to nice people on a long term basis - but I was looking for people of a similar age and situation and had a nice house with big rooms in a good 'young professional' area.

melibu84 Tue 25-Oct-16 13:59:59

I was part of a houseshare for years, and we had to look for new housemates a couple of times. There are some weirdos out there, you need to wade through the crap before you find a good person smile

PeachBellini123 Mon 14-Nov-16 09:42:18

I rented a room through Spareroom. Worked out well and found a lovely landlady who I ended up renting from for 2 years.

Definitley have a phone chat first then invite them over for tea and a chat.

Not everyone is a potential murderer on there I promise!

Lollollollol Tue 15-Nov-16 19:52:35

Perhaps you should target younger people

DS has to stay in different places for his Uni placements and has found Spareroom to work well. Are you close to a hospital? Perhaps you could target students on medical placements?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now