Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Confused by Marriage allowance, please help

(5 Posts)
TryingToWorkThingsOut Fri 21-Oct-16 11:03:13

So, I've NC for his as I'm going to have to give info about my finances.

My DH gross salary is £43500. After salary sacrifice such as pension, child care vouchers etc he is taxed on £37000 so he pays 20% tax.

I work part time and earn £8000 annually so don't pay tax.

I've just applied for the marriage allowance as he is a lower bracket tax payer paying 20% but I'm now worried that because of the £43500 before benefits maybe I shouldn't have applied.

Anyone have any advice or experience of this? All I can find online is that if DH pays lower rate tax then we are eligible.

My DH says that if we aren't eligible then they'll refuse the application but I'm concerned that I ticked the box saying 'less than £43000' because the only pays tax on £37000 and I'll be told off for defrauding he government shock

If this sounds really stupid and obvious to people the please be kind, I really can't work out what we're eligible for.

thatstoast Fri 21-Oct-16 11:06:57

I think it's gross income rather than taxable income so I don't think you'd qualify. Why don't you give them a call to clarify?

ChessieFL Fri 21-Oct-16 21:03:08

It's whether your DH is a higher or basic rate taxpayer that's important. He's a basic rate taxpayer so it's fine!

However, bear in mind that if his situation changes during the year and he becomes a higher rate taxpayer (e.g. if he gets a bonus) then the allowance is lost meaning he will have underpaid tax (yes, this happened to me!)

TryingToWorkThingsOut Sun 23-Oct-16 15:36:58

Thanks both for the replies, it shows how confusing it is as both of you think different things.

I think I'll give them a call to confirm as I do tend to worry grin

Thanks again

DiegeticMuch Sun 23-Oct-16 18:49:45

You're eligible. If he gets a pay rise or a bonus, do the calculation again and if he's ended up as Higher Rate, cancel the Marriage Allowance immediately here - www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now