Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Marriage tax allowance

(14 Posts)
Soubriquet Thu 20-Oct-16 20:34:55

Is anyone able to describe what this is in the most dumbed down version possible?

Thank you

mrschatty Thu 20-Oct-16 20:37:52

From what I understand if you earn below the tax threshold or your a sahp then your oh can take your 10k or whatever and add that on to what they earn and have your tax free allowance on their income
I THINK... as soon as I seen you had to earn below the tax threshold I switched off a bit

Chasingsquirrels Thu 20-Oct-16 20:41:56

Everyone has a tax free allowance - an amount they can earn before paying tax.
The marriage allowance is the ability to transfer part (upto £1,100) of your unused allowance (so if you don't earn or earn less than the total tax free amount) to your spouse (they have to be a basic rate tax payer - not higher or additional rate).

Your spouse could then earn an additional £1,100 before paying any tax = £220 increase in take home pay.

LookingOldBeforMyTime Thu 20-Oct-16 20:43:31

Like most tax it can sometimes get a bit complicated but I found this the most useful -
www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/marriage-tax-allowance

I claimed it online - very simple & very quick.

Chasingsquirrels Thu 20-Oct-16 20:43:34

hmrc link

Chasingsquirrels Thu 20-Oct-16 20:45:05

Oh that MSE link is good!

Soubriquet Thu 20-Oct-16 20:45:39

I did see the HMRC link which was what confused me

It was the bit that said the last 4 digits of the account that pays you interest. What does that mean?

Callmecordelia Thu 20-Oct-16 21:04:13

Thanks for starting this thread OP! I just claimed for both years.

I didn't bother with the interest bit, I used my passport.

Soubriquet Thu 20-Oct-16 21:05:09

I don't have a passport...

Me and Dh have one joint bank account too

Callmecordelia Thu 20-Oct-16 21:09:08

Is it where your child benefit is paid into? In that case, it's just the last four digits of the account number.

Soubriquet Thu 20-Oct-16 21:11:08

Well I've bitten the bullet and applied anyway

Was surprisingly easy

LookingOldBeforMyTime Fri 21-Oct-16 00:06:21

I hope this thread has some mileage.

It seems such a pity that there are over 3 million couples who are entitled to this, which could be worth over £430 now and over £220 per year in the future, have not claimed, especially as so many will really benefit. And it is so simple. Probably the most profitable half an hour (going through something like the MSE link and making the application) that most of us will spend

MSE link once again

www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/marriage-tax-allowance

ifonly4 Fri 21-Oct-16 14:39:57

I haven't paid tax for years and had no idea of my tax office or reference. I phoned one of the tax offices, who were really helpful and they dealt with the application over the phone (all they had to do was trace my tax office details).

scaryteacher Mon 24-Oct-16 11:02:22

I claimed over the phone as well. Be aware that you may have to reclaim, as I applied in the 14/15 year and got it. I've just done my 15/16 return and had to phone to see if I needed to apply annually. It's been rolled over to 16/17, but I may have to reapply thereafter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now