Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Ex used my address for credit

(50 Posts)
blurredlines Tue 18-Oct-16 13:02:13

Is there anything I can do to stop this ? A letter came from ee advising of a new contract in his name. I called them straight away and they said they couldn't discuss this with me but will look into it . I claim tax credits and worried how this will affect things . He said he took out a contract for our dd. I am absolutely furious with him and do not trust him to change it.

Is there anything else I can do ? He has never lived here so surprised he's been given one.

JennyOnAPlate Tue 18-Oct-16 13:04:44

Speak to the police. Surely what he has done is fraud?

Toffeelatteplease Tue 18-Oct-16 13:06:13

Check he isn't still on the electoral register. My guess he is

vickibee Tue 18-Oct-16 13:09:52

my ex did this too, he applied for a barclaycard at my address even though he had only lived there temporary for two months. I contacted bcard and they said they couldn't discuss it with me either. The cheeky bugger had put a redirect on mail so it was ages before I actually found out.!

blurredlines Tue 18-Oct-16 13:10:47

He's not . He's never lived here. I have no idea how he's been able to get one . I've lodged a complaint with ee. I'm so angry especially with all these tax credit horror stories.

blurredlines Tue 18-Oct-16 13:12:11

Surely you would need to prove your address when you apply for credit ?

Scarydinosaurs Tue 18-Oct-16 13:16:16

blurred yes, you should- I wonder if he had done it online?

Can you report it as fraud to the police?

Toffeelatteplease Tue 18-Oct-16 13:17:49

yep usually the electoral register. which is why I would double check he hasn't put himself on it

blurredlines Tue 18-Oct-16 13:21:30

Wouldn't of I got a letter if he was in the electoral roll ? I got one back in May which only had myself on.
The letter from ee contained a direct debit form so I have idea if he has even taken out a credit contract because they will not tell me.

MuggaTea Tue 18-Oct-16 13:25:05

Just update your details on
www.electoralcommission.org.uk/faq/voting-and-registration/how-do-i-change-my-address-on-the-electoral-register

if you get a letter back saying no change needed" or similar, you will know its ok.

cozietoesie Tue 18-Oct-16 13:54:39

Maybe have a look at a CIFAS Protective Registration? They're not free, I seem to recall they're about £30 for a couple of years, but it means that you're at risk of fraud and applications for credit going through the big bureaux - i.e. almost all - have to go through some special measures to check they're genuine. It might slow down a genuine credit request on your part but it shouldn't stop one etc.

(Caveat: I've not used this myself.)

Have you checked your credit file online?

blurredlines Tue 18-Oct-16 14:04:04

I've checked my credit file and I have no links with him now. Obviously I can't check his .
They can't just let anyone take a contract out at any address can they ?

blurredlines Tue 18-Oct-16 14:04:36

Cozie

I will look at this thank you

PersianCatLady Tue 18-Oct-16 14:09:01

I think I would probably contact Tax Credits now to let them know what is going on as if it becomes a problem later on I don't think "I didn't know" will go down too well with them.

cozietoesie Tue 18-Oct-16 14:14:53

I suspect that the difficulty is that a Protective Registration will cover people trying to obtain credit in your name - and you may still consider that worth it for you - but not necessarily someone saying they live at your address. If you're in control of your post, I'd be contacting the companies directly - as you've done - and alerting them.

cozietoesie Tue 18-Oct-16 14:17:08

PS - try to email them if possible. People can sometimes deny the content of phone calls but email correspondence is more difficult to disprove.

blurredlines Tue 18-Oct-16 14:19:20

I though about ringing tax credits but don't want to open a can of worms given the mess with concentrix at the moment . I can always send the copy of the email complaint to ee to them I suppose ?

PersianCatLady Tue 18-Oct-16 14:37:41

I though about ringing tax credits but don't want to open a can of worms given the mess with concentrix at the moment
I suppose there is that.

Honestly it is so hard to decided what to do for the best in these situations.

What I want to know is what company would give someone credit when they (your Ex-P) has no credit history at that address??

Also how on Earth did your Ex-P manage to set up a mail re-direction when they are so strict about the ID that you need?

Have you checked your online credit report?

blurredlines Tue 18-Oct-16 14:45:00

He's not set up mail re direction. It was another poster who said that.
It's irresponsible lending for ee to do this.
When I spoke to him he's adamant they didn't do a check check and he gave no details of his bank etc but as ee will not confirm anything with me I'm at a lost of what to do.

cozietoesie Tue 18-Oct-16 14:52:42

They may not be telling you anything but their fraud/credit checking department should be on the case behind the scenes and will likely have 'frozen' any account or activity he has with them.

blurredlines Tue 18-Oct-16 14:53:40

I hope so . Still leaves a foot print though ! Hopefully they can remove my address.

cozietoesie Tue 18-Oct-16 14:55:04

It shouldn't be a footprint that would harm you, though.

blurredlines Tue 18-Oct-16 15:02:54

Things like this have me worried. There was a lady who had her tax credits stopped because her ex was doing searches against her house for car insurance!

Bestthingever Tue 18-Oct-16 15:04:36

When we moved into our present house, I received a letter concerning an Argos credit card recently taken out by the ex of the previous owner. I knew he hadn't lived in the house for over a year and was aware he was a bit dodgy, so I knew it wasn't an accident. I called Argos and told them the story and, rather than refuse discuss it, she said they'd mark him as a 'gone away' (her words) and close the account. We had debt collectors and solicitors looking for him over the next couple of years. It wasn't til I joined MN that I learned about the powers of bailiffs. Thank god or I would have been bricking it!

PersianCatLady Tue 18-Oct-16 15:06:44

He's not set up mail re direction. It was another poster who said that
Sorry about that.

With regards to EE giving him a phone without a credit check, I have never heard of that before but maybe he is telling the truth.

By the way, did he tell you why he used your address?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now