Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Statutory maternity pay

(3 Posts)
BusyNothings Sun 16-Oct-16 17:40:56

Hi,

We are budgeting for when I will be on maternity leave and struggling to get heads around SMP. I work in education as support staff and as such don't get paid for the school holidays. However my wage is spread out across the year so that I get a standard wage each month regardless of whether there is a school holiday that month.

If (as is likely) my maternity leave falls over a a school holiday do I still get the same smp each week or is it, like my wage, spread out and averaged across?

I can't ask my HR due to work place politics and as I'm not actually pg yet I don't want to risk the fall out that will inevitable ensue from asking this question.

BusyNothings Sun 16-Oct-16 17:41:30

Forgot to say thank you to anyone who might have a clue!

LIZS Sun 16-Oct-16 17:44:08

It is based on the actual amount you are paid during specific weeks (18-24 iirc) so your averaged out pay would apply for the 90% calculation for first 6 weeks followed by the standard Smp rate which is currently around £135 pw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now