Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

how much do i need to be earning before my housing benefits stop completely?

(4 Posts)
juicychops Wed 12-Oct-16 17:58:05

i need to consider working full time next year as my son is now at secondary school. Im trying to work out the 'balance' amount where i break even with wages to cover housing benefit; then i will know that anything i earn over that will be extra income to what im getting now.

the online calculators are a lot more confusing than they used to be and they dont seem to be very accurate.

at the moment i get around £700 per month in housing benefit and tax credits combined and i earn after tax £710. and obviously the more i earn the less benefits i will get but i need to find the rough amount which is the maximum earnings i can earn before benefits stop.

anyone know a rough amount? i have no idea

Becca19962014 Thu 13-Oct-16 22:29:15

I don't know the amount but I know why you are getting conflicting information. The lower benefit cap comes in next month and the benefit reduced if you are over it is housing benefit.

Details on that cap are here the cap might or might not apply to you.

Also universal credit is beginning to be rolled out to those with changes to circumstances and the amounts available are, again, different.

Someone more knowledgable than me (not difficult!) will likely reply as well.

Hamiltoes Sat 15-Oct-16 17:19:00

I find the "entitledto" website to be one of the most accurate, but it really is a minefield, especially as tax credits is worked out on last years income. So you may find you are much better for a year or so and then really start to feel it when the tax credits are cut in the next year.

Try lots of different scenarios in the calculator, but really I'd take everything with a pinch of salt. Sorry I can't be of more help.

juicychops Sat 15-Oct-16 17:47:49

thanks for your responses guys... il check out entitledto. my tax credits have just been heavily reduced because my son will no longer need childcare now that he's in secondary school.

i hate benefits and tax credits!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now