Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Rossendales baliefs

(6 Posts)
Hatade16 Wed 12-Oct-16 10:35:19

I had baliefs turn up last week for council tax. £208 worth. I agreed to pay £10 a week. Anyway iv lost the letter they gave me after they signed my tv & dining table off as payment if I don't pay. I rang the office and they are saying they haven't sent anyone out and the debt on their computer is more than they came for.
Iv tried ringing/texting the man who came and he said to ring the office as they aren't dealing with it anymore.

What do I do? I can't find my account details anywhere

PingPongBat Tue 18-Oct-16 08:27:32

Just in amassed you haven't done this already, you need to ring your council as they are the ones who would have instructed the bailiffs. They will be able to give you the exact amount you owe, based on your address, and should be able to set up a repayment plan with you.

PingPongBat Tue 18-Oct-16 08:27:58

Just in case

scaryteacher Tue 18-Oct-16 09:46:06

Once it's gone to the bailiffs some Councils are reluctant to recall the debt and to make a payment plan, as that's what they wanted to do in the first place! Bailiffs are a last resort after trying to attach to earnings or benefits.

Hatade16 Tue 18-Oct-16 09:53:25

Something strange has happened. Iv had a letter saying due to my circumstances they have passed the debt back to the council?

PingPongBat Tue 18-Oct-16 10:22:05

That's a good thing!.

The bailiffs have probably decided either that you are vulnerable , or that you have no goods worth seizing to pay the arrears (they generally don't like taking goods as it costs them more to remove, store and sell them than they can get from you in payments). I'd get in touch with the council to try and set something up with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now