Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Debt with savings.

(7 Posts)
Mum2twoUnder4 Sat 08-Oct-16 11:57:47

I'd like to ask, does anyone think it's sensible that even though I have debt, to have a little savings?

I have around 5k debt, am paying off £200pm. But I have £200 in 'savings' basically an emergency account. Is this sensible?

It's just in case the car fails or something goes wrong that I need to fix.

Or should I put that money into paying off my debt?

JenLindleyShitMom Sat 08-Oct-16 12:00:37

Yep sensible. The £200 cushion won't clear your debt in one go. It's much more use to you as an emergency cushion. You're still paying towards your debt as well.

Bagina Sat 08-Oct-16 12:03:03

Interesting. We're doing the same. In reality though, I guess it would be cheaper to put any car fails etc on the 0% credit card, but psychologically we don't want to do that. It's setting up good patterns for us to have a bit in savings, and also be paying the debt down. I guess it depends on interest rates on the debt.

Mum2twoUnder4 Sat 08-Oct-16 12:10:08

Well I am snowballing by debt so it'll take me a little while but I'll get through it all asap.

And I'm putting money into savings each month so I have a little extra for any emergency that may arise. I want to get a £500 buffer and I'll be happy with that.

Think that's too much or enough?

JenLindleyShitMom Sat 08-Oct-16 12:16:03

No I think £500 is a good buffer. I would aim for that then plough everything else into debt repayment.

Mum2twoUnder4 Sat 08-Oct-16 22:14:31

Thank you smile

Mum2twoUnder4 Sat 08-Oct-16 22:15:20

Though I think my £200 will be dramatically reduced once my car has had its MOT next week confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now