Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

monthly bank charges

(8 Posts)
happydaddy1 Tue 27-Sep-16 21:35:08

does anyone know how I can go about to claim back my monthly charges for things like breakdown coverage, national trust reductions and holiday insurance??? I didn't know I had these let alone use them.

I took out an advantage gold on advise from NatWest and believe it or not I didn't know I was being charged £15 per month for the last 12+ years.

a work collage has stated I should claim the money back and because I never used the said features I have a good case?
hopefully someone can help me as I have no idea what to do and don't want to rush in to a PPI scam.

contortionist Tue 27-Sep-16 21:40:24

Do it yourself - don't go through a claims service.
This is a good guide: www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/reclaim-packaged-bank-accounts

happydaddy1 Tue 27-Sep-16 22:08:33

thanks contortionist.

that's what a friend said but they said it could take over a year if not more to do it myself.
and to be honest what with work and family I wonder if I could have the time or even patience?

Mamazita Tue 27-Sep-16 22:11:56

I rang my bank RBS direct and it took them 8 weeks to refund all my money. As Natwest are part of RBS, I think they will take the same approach. Good luck

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 27-Sep-16 22:34:45

I hope you manage to claim it back, it would be a nice sum but I have to say, I am absolutely stunned that you didn't notice the £15 charge going out of your account every month for twelve years! confused grin

happydaddy1 Tue 27-Sep-16 23:06:00

it was only by accident I noticed it, and tbh i'm amazed I had never seen it before.

I took aloan out for a car then was told I would automatically be upgraded to NatWest advantage gold account at no cost so thought no more about it, how naïve was I. sad

happydaddy1 Tue 27-Sep-16 23:06:42

thanks, I will look into it.

Scotmum83 Sat 01-Oct-16 10:03:32

You need to word you're letter carefully so that it shows you were mis-sold the account. We took out a loan at the same time we changed ours to a monthly fee account as we were told we wouldn't get a mortgage through Rbs otherwise which we were planning on doing in the future..... This was incorrect information and we got 6 years of payments back plus interest. if you have used the benefits of it, ie the travel insurance, phone insurance etc and have made a claim on them then you might not get it back. Money saving expert has templates and further info that is really useful. Good luck 😀

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now