Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Landlord issues

(5 Posts)
lilypoppet Wed 21-Sep-16 16:58:29

Hello I've moved into a house for three months or longer as a casual arrangement with the house owner. He wants me to pay the council tax to him but keep the council tax in his wife's name. I am worried this could affect my credit rating and actually be illegal. Any advice?

specialsubject Wed 21-Sep-16 20:19:42

Bit confused - is he still living there?

If yes, then you are a lodger and it doesnt really matter. Get on the electoral roll

If no, you are a tenant and five gets you ten he isnt declaring income, insuring it , telling any mortgage company and so on.

lilypoppet Thu 22-Sep-16 08:39:49

Only me and my family live there. Could we be liable for any illegal practice?

LIZS Thu 22-Sep-16 08:43:11

Is he doing it for school application? You won't be able to use it as Id or proof of address, Is That an issue for you? Is he claiming single adult discount elsewhere I wonder hmm

specialsubject Thu 22-Sep-16 09:50:34

You arent doing anything wrong - but he may be.

I bet he hasnt told anyone he is renting it out. Casual or not, you have a tenancy and all the associated right, and he has the obligations. Go read the ' how to rent' leaflet on

Gas safe? Smoke alarms? Deposit protected?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now