Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Verifying details through text message from HMRC

(20 Posts)
Texfactor Tue 20-Sep-16 17:32:16

Hi all
Have had a text from HMRC saying they owe me £200 & follow the link... Result! But they want name, address, phone, bank details & even passport no! Surely they have this info already?! Is it dodgy? Anyone had the same?

gonegrey56 Tue 20-Sep-16 17:33:24

No! It is a scam ! Do not respond

Believeitornot Tue 20-Sep-16 17:33:45

Dodgy! Just ring them? Was it out of the blue?

mamamiaa Tue 20-Sep-16 17:34:13

Sounds a bit dodgy, although i have hmrc text me but never asked for them sort of details. Can you give them a ring

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Tue 20-Sep-16 17:34:19

Has to be dodgy. .
When do get ever owe us money??

LineyReborn Tue 20-Sep-16 17:34:26

Don't respond! Dodgy as fuck.

Texfactor Tue 20-Sep-16 17:34:48

Thanks
It's come through on the same thread as a few texts from HMRC saying thanks for updating your info etc... Looks so legit confused

BakeOffBiscuits Tue 20-Sep-16 17:35:09

Yes it is VERY dodgy. Just delete!

Never ever give your bank details to anyone asking for them via an email or text.

GrumpyOldBag Tue 20-Sep-16 17:36:18

I have had this too and decided it was a scam - but a very realistic one.

But when i checked my message folder on my online portal there was no such message or money owing.

Texfactor Tue 20-Sep-16 17:36:46

Going to ring them
Weird it's on the HMRC thread !!

Texfactor Tue 20-Sep-16 17:37:40

What's the online portal, Grumpy? Is it easy to set up?

BakeOffBiscuits Tue 20-Sep-16 17:37:51

I had a text from HSBC yesterday saying my account had been compromised and I should put in all my security details inorder to ensure its safety.hmm

I don't even have an HSBC account!

They are very common.

BakeOffBiscuits Tue 20-Sep-16 17:40:08

The HMRC text is very common and well known. Don't waste your time following it up. It will take you an hour to get through in their phone line.

If you go on their website it will say somewhere that they never ask for any details by text or email. They ALWAYS send letters.

PatsHatOnTheCat Tue 20-Sep-16 17:41:56

I had one yesterday " Dear Maddam..."

If they could only spell correctly they might get more suckers believing this crap.

FrogTime Tue 20-Sep-16 17:43:41

HMRC only ever correspond by mail. Ignore, ignore, ignore!

Texfactor Tue 20-Sep-16 17:49:49

It's the most convincing one I've ever seen. I can see loads of peeps falling 4 it (I did til I got to the bank details & mother's maiden name !!!!)

Balletgirlmum Tue 20-Sep-16 17:52:45

The online portal is the Government Gateway if you are self employed or have complicated tax & have to fill in your self assessment online.

Hmrc will never text you. They also only ever email you to tell you that you have a message waiting on the government gateway

AngelBlue12 Tue 20-Sep-16 17:56:22

I had one earlier too, if you look on the website there is an umber that they ask you to forward texts to.

They will text saying thanks for updating tax credits etc but will never inform you about rebates/refunds via text or email.

JinkxMonsoon Tue 20-Sep-16 17:58:25

I get loads of "HMRC" emails. All scams. As a PP said, they only correspond via letter.

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Tue 20-Sep-16 17:59:49

HMRC is one of the most commonly used entities for phishing attempts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now