Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bloody tax credits. Help please!

(3 Posts)
LumpySpaceCow Mon 19-Sep-16 23:05:36

Hi!
I've posted for help before about tax credits and was just after a bit more!
I've never received them before but as I've had another child and been on maternity leave for a couple of years, I am now eligible. I'm paying for childcare whilst on maternity to keep my child's place and now to settle my youngest in. I receive salary sacrifice childcare vouchers which are currently paying for childcare as I've saved a few up. So:
1. I've worked out my average childcare costs minus my 243 childcare voucher. However, as I've saved some vouchers up, for the next few months my childcare will be covered by the vouchers - should I have also deducted these from my costs?

2. Can I claim for the childcare element whilst on maternity as I'm not technically working?

3. I go onto no pay soon for last 12 weeks of mat leave. Do I inform them? Will the child tax credits then stop?

4. This year's wage is low like last year's but next year I will earn triple (about 30k). When I renew in April do I tell them my projected income as well as this year's?

Sorry for all the questions. I am just mega nervous about applying and being overpaid!
Thanks for reading!

TigerDragonMonkey Mon 19-Sep-16 23:29:23

Tax credits are evil and designed to make otherwise intelligent people feel stupid!
I'm on mat leave and had childcare vouchers so my advice is just from personal experience. I'm no expert smile.
1) I think you should deduce all the vouchers from this tax year. You also deduct the voucher value from your 'salary' (or mat pay in your case).
2) You should still qualify for working tax credit while on Mat leave.
3) When I called to renew this year the advisor said they didn't need me to inform them about my mat leave, they would calculate it from my P60. I don't think your tax credits will stop...
4) When you renew it doesn't give you the option to project. You'll have to just confirm what you did get paid then submit a change or circumstances for your new salary one month before you start getting paid again.

BUT, I'd just call the tax credit people and ask them all the same questions and see what they want you to do. If you do make a mistake (very easily done!) and you get overpaid you can at least tell them you did it on their advice and have grounds to appeal them asking for any money back.

LumpySpaceCow Tue 20-Sep-16 09:54:56

Thanks for your advice! I don't know why I'm so nervous about them! I think because we've never been entitled before I'm just worried that I'll be faced with a massive overpayment when I earn my normal wage! I'll make sure I keep them up to date. Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now