Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Pre-paid card for 12 YO

(19 Posts)
Hightechlowbudget Mon 19-Sep-16 20:14:25

Hi, we are looking for some sort of pre-paid card that we can put pocket money on for DD. We would like it to either be a contactless card or a cash point card where she could withdraw money, but not exceed your balance.

Everything we have found either has annual fee, transaction fees or you have to be over 18. When I was young I had a Halifax cash point card.

Does anyone have any experience of this kind of thing? Advice, or recommendations.

We want her to have access to her pocket money, but learn about managing her expenditure.

Thanks

NickNacks Mon 19-Sep-16 20:15:30

Ds has an account with hsbc. He's 12.

RJnomore1 Mon 19-Sep-16 20:15:53

Some of dds friends have one called go Henry but I don't know much about it - keep meaning to look though.

imnervous Mon 19-Sep-16 20:15:56

It has a annual fee but we really like osper.

I have an app on my phone so can add money and see where he's spending.

The high street banks all offer child accounts that have a debit card for children over 11. Dd has hers with Bank of Scotland.

vicki2010 Mon 19-Sep-16 20:23:06

Go Henry is great but does charge. However it's contactless which my kids love so they rarely use their everyday banking card which is with Halifax. The app on go Henry shows what they spend and where and you can add jobs to their account to allow them to be completed before they get paid their pocket money.

Kleptronic Mon 19-Sep-16 20:24:53

My 12 year old has a Nationwide FlexOne account. It pays a little bit of interest, has a better savings account which can be taken out alongside it and you can get either a cash card or debit card which you can use for contactless/Amazon but you can't go overdrawn.

SueDunome Mon 19-Sep-16 20:25:41

HSBC accounts here too

Twooter Mon 19-Sep-16 20:26:13

Use Osper here too and very happy with it. I think Go Henry has transaction fees which seems a bit harsh given the small sums of money involved.

Balletgirlmum Mon 19-Sep-16 20:26:53

My children used to have Halifax accounts but I changed to HSBC as they were easier to manage. You can have a debit card from age 11.

easterlywinds Mon 19-Sep-16 20:30:32

We've just opened a nationwide account for ds (12 yr). It pays interest so he can learn that keeping money in your account pays, and he has a debit card to access the money. It also has a linked savings account so we are encouraging him to put money into savings and only keep a small amount in the current account. HSBC do a similar account but the interest rates aren't as high.
We also looked at go Henry but I didn't want to pay the monthly fee.

I don't think contactless is necessarily a good thing as I have read that they can be used after they have been cancelled if they have been lost.

Hightechlowbudget Mon 19-Sep-16 23:05:05

Thank you, Nationwide looks like the best option for us.

Hoppinggreen Tue 20-Sep-16 08:02:29

My DD 11 has a Go Henry card.
We really like it, I can see exactly what's going on with an app on my phone and I can set/change the rules instantly. It's not a savings account though so she's got one of those too

I just wouldn't pay for a card that you can get free from the bank. Dd barely uses her bank card anyway so we'd be paying out each month for nothing.

TweedAddict Tue 20-Sep-16 08:40:42

I've just opened up a nationwide account for my 12 year old. You can get text warnings when they go under a certain amount, and the phone app is really good at keeping them on track.

fifipop185 Wed 21-Sep-16 08:42:45

Natwest do a good account for 11-18 yo's free of charge. It's the Adapt account and comes with a debit card and cannot go overdrawn. DD uses here to spend her pocket money and can use the online banking app to check her balance and transactions. It's helped her learn the value of money.

lovelyupnorth Fri 23-Sep-16 07:27:40

My kids have accounts with Santander with debit cards.

snozzlemaid Fri 23-Sep-16 07:45:53

My dd has a card with her Barclays account.
She can only spend what is in the account and I transfer pocket money straight in each month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now