Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Turned down for a store card because I'm a SAHP?

(15 Posts)
TheLesserWeevil Mon 19-Sep-16 13:46:26

I applied for a credit card in store today - it was a large purchase and they were offering a considerable discount if I got a card, so planned to use it for this single purchase and then close the account. Much to my surprise my application was refused. As far as I know I have a damn near perfect credit score; I've had credit cards for 20 years and always paid them off in full at end of month, had a mortgage for 10 years and never missed a payment, never had any other debt whatsoever. I currently only earn a minimal amount each year from a very part-time job, so my partner's income was put down as "family income". Is it really impossible to get a credit card if you're a SAHP, even with a good credit and "family income"? It really doesn't make any difference to me at the moment, but I was a bit taken aback, and could see how it could be a problem for someone else in a different position.

Nakupenda Mon 19-Sep-16 13:49:10

I guess from the point of lenders is that if the "family income" up and left you, who would pay the money owed?

Emochild Mon 19-Sep-16 13:52:20

You don't know that's the reason though

FATEdestiny Mon 19-Sep-16 13:58:33

I'm a SAHM and most of our credit is now either just in DHs name or joint names.

I wouldn't expect to be able to get credit in my sole name; because I have no income.

Bookishandblondish Mon 19-Sep-16 14:03:00

Apparently it's incredibly common - friend worked in a very affluent area with loads of SAHM who had large budgets (SW London) - loads got rejected even though they lived off hedge fund earners and the ilk.

TheLesserWeevil Mon 19-Sep-16 14:06:57

Yeah, I guess it's fair enough, based on Nakupenda's reasoning... I've just never given it a second thought, especially as all our money has always gone straight into one account and treated as joint finances. Our current credit cards are actually in my name as DH jumped onto my account when we got married, it didn't occur to me that I wouldn't be able to get another one! I should have thought about it before I went through the palaver of filling in the form etc.

XianLiax Mon 19-Sep-16 14:10:18

This pisses me off hugely!

I left my bank after they wouldn't approve me for an overdraft on my current account (20+ years of perfect custom).

1.5k per month was transferred there every month (and had been for years) from DH for housekeeping - but apparently my marital financial arrangements are less secure than a zero-hours contract job.

Ironically - I had a student account for a few years after I went back to university - where I had a decent overdraft - and this was instantly nixed when I became a SAHM.

ClaudiaWankleman Mon 19-Sep-16 14:19:37

This was Argos right? Basically it's worked out in 3 ways.
1) all information inputted matches a computer definition and you are automatically accepted.
2) you don't meet the most 'vital' criteria (having a paying job may well be one!) and are automatically rejected.
3) you fall somewhere in between and are told that a decision will be made by a real person at head office.

The outcome could well be different if you applied to another credit agency in person or in a more nuanced way. I wouldn't be to disheartened although I appreciate the forms are horrendous.

TheLesserWeevil Mon 19-Sep-16 14:24:54

Not Argos, no, but rejection was instantaneous, so am assuming scenario (2) on your list.

I'm just not quite sure that I'm a bigger risk now than I was when I was living by myself on a single salary - two of the companies I worked for went into administration (not my fault, honestly) and left me without any income for months. Or when I was a student, and was offered several credit cards with no income whatsoever.

Emochild Mon 19-Sep-16 14:25:44

Argos you are never told you are rejected in store

You are told they will take 7-10 days to contact you with a decision

You also shouldn't be told why you've been rejected -the staff may speculate it's because you are a SAHM but that's not necessarily true. The reason you are rejected is nothing to do with the staff in store

SillySongsWithLarry Mon 19-Sep-16 17:37:57

It could be because your credit score is too good. They offer a discount for someone taking on credit, but only want to offer the credit to someone who will earn them interest, not someone who will pay in full at the end of the month.

ClaudiaWankleman Wed 21-Sep-16 13:37:50

Argos you are definitely told you have been rejected - or at least you were when I worked there 5 years ago!

Credit lending has also probably declined since you were a student so thresholds are higher.

Emochild Wed 21-Sep-16 14:36:22

I work there now -you aren't told

PikachuSayBoo Wed 21-Sep-16 14:40:45

Brantano talked me into a store card and when I said I was a SAHP the woman filling in the form for me said she would put down student because if I was a SAHP I would be turned down. So she put down student and I was accepted.

ClaudiaWankleman Fri 23-Sep-16 03:15:48

Emo I'm glad they've stopped doing that then. It was very awkward to attempt to answer people's questions as to why they were rejected!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now