Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Does anyone else get sick of being money pinching all the time?

(13 Posts)
ssd Fri 16-Sep-16 08:13:49

we have a joint income of £25k, we have teenagers and a car and try to have a holiday once a year and we have a mortgage

so its tight, all the bloody time

I constantly scrimp and save, I buy things when on special offer, or with a discount code

we get by but its always tight, always

I've got a very big birthday coming up and I'd love to take us all to a nice restaurant and just get what the hell we like...but I'm cautious of being ripped off, not enjoying it when its so expensive....so I'm looking at groupon for a deal, but for once I'd like to live like everyone else I know and just go out and spend money...mind you everyone else I know is on well over £25k a year, so thats why they can do that

it just is so monotonous , money gives you choice and I dont have that

dh is full time, I work 2 part time jobs, its not like we dont try

Drowzeee Fri 16-Sep-16 10:26:56

You've already said it yourself... everyone else you know earns well over £25K pa.

Can you get a full time job? Can your partner look for a better paid job? Not easy I know but the only way to have more money to spend is to earn more.

cozietoesie Fri 16-Sep-16 11:26:16

It's tiring, right enough. Boring at times.

I think I'd maybe take slight exception with your use of the words 'money pinching' though - it's more a total money awareness, I reckon. I've known people in similar situations and they're often the least 'tight' people I know because they know what money can mean.

And imagine where you'd be if you didn't have it? You wouldn't be 'getting by' likely - probably in debt and having sleepless nights through worrying.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 16-Sep-16 11:29:54

On an income of 25k with more than one dc you should be receiving tax credits?

2014newme Fri 16-Sep-16 11:32:20

I think you are doing very
Well to have a car and a holiday on £25k. Average UK income was £22k each in 2013 so you are managing on a lot less than that.
Can either of you progress in your jobs, that's how people earn more they take on higher level jobs or increase their skills

SillySongsWithLarry Fri 16-Sep-16 11:36:54

You are living within your means that is great. I'm on a similar household income with 2 children so know the struggle. You aren't going without though - you can afford the holiday, can afford to eat out and go out. Just need to keep an eye on the budget that's all.

MakeJam Fri 16-Sep-16 11:40:18

Surely you can claim WTC?
link to entitledto

Help with prescritions, dental

help with Council Tax

Maybe have a word with your loca CBA. And sympathies to the penny pinching. It is such drudgery.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 16-Sep-16 11:42:32

Income to high for wtc , help with prescriptions etc. However not to high for child tax credits.

ssd Sat 17-Sep-16 10:24:04

we dont get tax credits as dc1 is now 18 and starting uni, he has a p/t job

its just draining I agree

Mrsderekshepard Sat 17-Sep-16 10:26:03

We have joint of 22k and I know exactly how you feel, we have 3 Dd's too.

BarbaraofSeville Sat 17-Sep-16 10:51:58

Mrsderekshepard On £22k with 3 DCs, you are probably entitled to quite a bit in tax credits, are you claiming them?

Is your DS1 staying at home while at uni? If so does he contribute, even if it's only a small amount. He really needs to, because money is so tight - does he also get the maximum loan, bursary, grant or whatever he is entitled to?

£25k pa is not a lot, can you both work more hours - FT on minimum wage is £14k pa so any extra would make a bit of a difference.

ssd Sat 17-Sep-16 11:50:25

I wouldnt take money off ds1 as he hardly earns anything, I figure its not his fault we earn so little, he gets a grant that will help with fares

I'm trying to get a f/t job but its very difficult around here, there seems to be so many p/t jobs or zero hrs contracts

itsmeyouknow Tue 27-Sep-16 21:26:30

So in terms of the big birthday... Sometimes groupons end up being not that great a deal. You could get menus online /emailed to you for the restaurants you fancy and budget /plan for it - some do a tasting or set menu that looks expensive but is all in. Is there anything discretionary you or the family could temporarily stop to build up a fund for the meal?

I totally understand the monotony aspect, but remember you're doing a great job to budget on the funds you have coming in, so feel good about that and go plan that fabulous meal. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now