Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How many bank accounts and credit cards is optimum?

(5 Posts)
Poocatcherchampion Mon 12-Sep-16 19:06:18

Dh and I have a joint account and a credit card that we use for everything financial.

We also both have a current account from before we were married and I have a credit card. We have not used any of them for 6 years (which is since we got married and opened the joint account).

I am trying to live simply and get rid of clutter in our lives and I just want to close the accounts and bin the paperwork.

Is there a reason we should have more than one account? If the bank crashes etc? I know it is simple to open more accounts but would take a bit of time in a pinch.

I always thought I'd keep mine as a "running away account" but I have no plans to run away and the isa is in my name

What do others?

DadDadDad Tue 13-Sep-16 14:55:01

I think it's useful to have two different credit cards with two different providers in case one of them doesn't work. For example, recently, our card provider cancelled all our cards because they had detected some fraudulent activity, so it was useful to be able to use the back-up card while waiting for the replacements.

DadDadDad Tue 13-Sep-16 14:57:35

(Obviously, the fraudulent activity was nothing to do with us! Someone else presumably had somehow got our card details and tried to use them - we didn't lose any money).

specialsubject Tue 13-Sep-16 16:09:52

Bank cash machine networks do crash - so i think you should have two accounts in two completely different banking licences so you always have access. Google 'who owns who' for the info.

You can also get a bit of interest from current accounts, although as carney continues his low interest rate obsession those days are ending.

delilahbucket Sat 17-Sep-16 19:01:10

I have three current accounts but only two in use, one joint and one single. I have four credit cards. I use three of them and pay them off each month as they all have their own benefits (one for cashback on all spending although it is Amex and not accepted everywhere, one for high cashback on petrol, one fee free for purchases abroad). My other is an emergencies only card but only gets used for a small purchase every so often just to keep it active.
There is no right or wrong number unless you are looking at further borrowing. Many different credit cards and accounts have benefits. If you are not using something or ever likely to use it then there is no point having it. I have debated about getting rid of my extra credit card but never got round to writing the letter to close it. I certainly don't worry about my bank going bust and having no immediate access to money as my credit cards are with three different providers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now