Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Mortgage Dependants

(2 Posts)
yummycake123 Thu 08-Sep-16 21:20:02

We are looking at getting a mortgage. I work full time and OH is a SAHD, with no income. The mortgage will be based on my salary and I will be making the payments.
The bank explained to me that even if OH doesn't work it's better to put him down as a joint applicant otherwise he will be considered a dependant, which would significantly reduce the amount I can borrow.
Problem is OH had money problems years ago and is paying some debt via a debt repayment plan (he was never bankrup or had CCJs, it's just he is on a debt repayment plan). I imagine his credit score isn't brilliant.
Will they run a credit check on an applicant who isn't earning money anyway? Or will they just credit check me?

Desmondo2016 Thu 08-Sep-16 22:54:18

They will credit check both applicants. I think the detriment to him being considered a dependant would be less penalising of his credit file is bad (which it will be if he's on a DMP )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now