Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Mortgage for self-employed with good deposit?

(4 Posts)
lamii Wed 07-Sep-16 18:08:26

Hi! Does anyone know if I have a chance to get a mortgage to buy a 400k house in London under these conditions:
- my partner has 65% of the amount cash (he is self employed but doesn't earn much now)
-I am self-employed, abroad now and I would be willing to get a part-time job

Thanks a lot

IceMaiden73 Wed 07-Sep-16 23:53:10

It depends on how much you are earning v how much you want to borrow

lamii Sun 11-Sep-16 13:40:34

Ok how about this situation:
My partner has 65% of the amount needed to buy the house. If I have a low paid job (such as Pret-a-manger). Do you think we have a chance to get a mortgage of 80-100K? I'm an artist so I have to find solutions like that...

somekindofmother Sun 11-Sep-16 13:46:33

to get our mortgage DH had to provide 2 years of accounts that showed he could afford the repayment. we also had to put in a larger than normal deposit (ours was close to 40%)
I wasn't working at all.
I would think you would as 65% is a large deposit which greatly reduces risk to the lender.
we used a brilliant broker, who I would recommend to anyone (she's done 3 mortgages for me now and a few for my friends) as only certain lenders will consider you so it saves a lot of messing about on your part looking at who will consider you and who won't and their individual criteria etc and she knew how to get us a fab rate too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now