Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How much do you spend annually on family holidays?

(39 Posts)
3yearsnosleep Tue 06-Sep-16 20:54:15

Our dd has just started school so we're now having to look at school holidays for any hols and I can't believe the prices. I don't know if I'm being unrealistic in my expectations though and I'd love to hear how much other families with one or two children would normally spend on holidays across a normal year. I'm interested in both abroad and here x

dontsufferfools Tue 06-Sep-16 22:12:59

I've been looking for holidays. Wanted to do a Caribbean cruise. Quoted £21,000 for a family of 8. So I'm not doing a cruise. Usually budget around £10,000 for our holiday. Sounds a lot, but there are 8 of us.

mamamiaa Tue 06-Sep-16 22:18:14

Family of 4, somewhere nice but not too far, usually Spain during school summer holidays, between £2500 - £3000 for a week

yeOldeTrout Tue 06-Sep-16 22:20:54

yowza, my friend who has 7 kids would do Butlins for a week for about £400.

Onedaftmonkey Tue 06-Sep-16 22:27:36

£100 for a weeks camping. £345 for a weekend festival.
Good ol family fun. None of your floating Listeria for us, just damp, cold, bbq-ing, dancing in a field.
10k for a holiday. Wow. Good for u. If u can afford it why the hell not.
Just for once I'd like to sit on my arse and do sweet fanny Adams all day while getting a kick arse tan.

Jenijena Tue 06-Sep-16 22:30:47

Watching with interest. Until now we've spent around £1200 on a Eurocamp holiday in June and then a cheap few days - eg Hoseasons in September or February - at some other point in the year for perhaps £300. Our main holiday in school hols next year would be about £3000, so thats not going to happen... (And wouldn't go with Eurocamp again anyway)

FATEdestiny Tue 06-Sep-16 22:31:11

Usually around £1500 for a UK holiday in the summer holidays.

Me, DH, 4 children (12, 11, 7, 2) and usually take a grandparent too. Either a cottage rental or caravan on a site. We allow £800-£1000 for accomodation and spend around £500-£700 including petrol while there.

RebelandaStunner Tue 06-Sep-16 22:46:06

UK- Centre Parcs and/or hotel in say Cornwall £1-2k
Holiday(s) abroad- £2-7k
Festivals- £500+
Spa/shopping/sightseeing break- £300+
Weekends at our Holiday home- free

3yearsnosleep Wed 07-Sep-16 07:47:14

This is really interesting, thanks all! I think I need to think about less hols abroad and look into more uk breaks x

Babyroobs Wed 07-Sep-16 09:32:38

Oct half term we are going to Ibizia for one week ( family of five). have paid around £2300 all inclusive. This is however our first foreign holiday for four years. Last year we had a holiday Cottage in norfolk for a week in July ( £800) and next year we are going to Cornwall for a week in a caravan ( £750). We are lucky in that our kids school generally breaks up a week before most of the country so we find if we go that first week in July we can get a cheaper holiday. Our holidays will always be expensive as we have 4 kids although th eldest isn't coming with us this year.

lalaloopyhead Wed 07-Sep-16 09:42:31

£400 for a week at Butlins for 7?? You'll be lucky! We paid about that for 5 of us (1 being a baby then) for 3 nights a few years ago.

This year we spent going on 2K on 5 nights @ Disney and 4 Nights at Eurocamp this year. I looked at a week at the Eurocamp but it was silly money so I am going to look at finding somewhere on Owners Direct or similar for next time.

ssd Wed 07-Sep-16 09:47:06

we only spend what we can afford, anything else is daft

a holiday is what you make it, when ours were young a week at the seaside was all they needed, and if it rained then the local swimming pool, museum, etc did the job

I cant understand parents taking children under 10 abroad, but if you have the money then why not, the sun is guaranteed I suppose.

kilmuir Wed 07-Sep-16 09:48:56

Family of 6 , about 6k

TheHobbitMum Wed 07-Sep-16 09:50:15

We have to go in August due to DH work & school so we budget about £8k (about 2k of that for spends). 2 eldest have expensive school trips so that's on top, this year they have Iceland & Italy at £800 each child, each trip shock 2 youngest have primary school residential so this year it's £400 for those 2. I can't wait until school trips are a thing of the past and we can have fantastic holidays 😂

AngelsWithSilverWings Wed 07-Sep-16 09:51:53

We like to have a few different holidays per year. We are a family of four.

This year we had a week with Eurocamp in Holland for £800 at Easter ,10 nights in our tent in Cornwall for £400 in the summer and we are booked for a week in Sorrento during Oct half term for £3000.

Next Easter we are splurging on a luxury two week long haul trip for £5500 but will then only do camping trips for the rest of the year.

Girlwithnotattoos Wed 07-Sep-16 10:01:13

Family of 4 abroad in the school holidays we usually budget £4-6k, when we first had to book in the school holidays we were shock at the prices, but now we're used to spending the price of a small car annually for2 weeks awaysad.
We also have a caravan which we use for all other holidays and weekends otherwise it would be a fortnight in July/August and nothing else.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Wed 07-Sep-16 10:07:08

I'm in the same boat op. We haven't been abroad for years, decided we are doing it this year but the price is putting a spanner in the works sad I really want my dc to see other countries but its a luxury I'm realising is a beyond reach. I'm tempted to book anyway put the shortfall on a credit card......blush

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Wed 07-Sep-16 10:08:11

Usually spend 1k on centre parcs/Haven type holiday.

BooAndM Wed 07-Sep-16 10:11:47

Family of 5 and we spend up to £2500 on a week abroad and also normally a minibreak in the UK for up to £500. So far we've gone in term time but once DC1 is in secondary school I assume we will pay a lot more!

DubiousCredentials Wed 07-Sep-16 10:18:31

Short uk break at Easter £300 plus £200 spending.

7 nights uk in August £700 plus £600 spending.

So £1800 in total.

Both self catering cottages.

vickibee Wed 07-Sep-16 10:21:11

we book early to secure a free child place for the following summer, it has saved us about £600 off Summer 17. We are going to tenerife (AI) 2 adults plus 10yo child. £2100. It has everything you need so you dont need to spend much if you dont want to

Thumbcat Wed 07-Sep-16 10:28:43

Next year we're having a week in Holland at half term for £500. All other holidays will either be cheap camping or freebies at grandparent's holiday homes.

dinkystinky Wed 07-Sep-16 10:37:06

I have 3 boys - older 2 in school - and school holidays are typically 3k plus for a week abroad, around 2k in UK (when add in spending money travel costs). 2 weeks in summer always seems to come in around 6 - 8k wherever we go outside of the UK. Skiing works out around 7k (as have to add in childcare).

Top tips - book flights early to get cheap ones or go last minute if deals come up.

LunaLoveg00d Wed 07-Sep-16 10:41:47

We are a family of 5, our oldest is a teenager so often counted as another adult for holiday purposes. We don't really budget, when we're thinking of booking we look at what cash is available and shop accordingly. We also make the most of the fact that we're in Scotland and have different holidays - we had a week in an amazing property in Cornwall the first week of July for £800, had we gone the first week of August it would have been £1250. We're also going to Crete in the October week holiday which isn't the same as English holidays, 4* all inclusive for 5 of us just under £2k.

I really don't think comparing is that useful though, everyone can afford different things. Everyone has different tastes in holidays. Personally wild horses could not drag me anywhere near Butlins and I leave camping to the Scouts, but for other people a hotel holiday or a cruise is their idea of hell. It's just like making any other purchase - work out what you can afford, shop around to compare prices and options, and work out what's best for you and your family.

wonderwoo Wed 07-Sep-16 10:58:56

We had a week in a holiday home is isle of wight in may half term last year for £450. £100 this year for 4 nights in a caravan in February half term, and £150 for three nights in a haven site beginning sept.

I am not bothered about being abroad atm. I don't like sitting around a pool for long and heat doesnt agree with me... i get far too grumpy. But when the kids are older, would love to take them abroad sightseeing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now