Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How much money left over at the end of the month?...

(27 Posts)
user1472663171 Wed 31-Aug-16 18:12:00

My husband and I have a 16 month old, he works full time - self employed in security and I work full time as a graphic designer (Devon wages!). At the end of the month, after all expenses we are left with about £1k in our account.
My husband is flapping saying it's not enough of a buffer to have, should be need it, my argument is, we are lucky to have that much and we shouldn't waste time fretting...
Am I wrong not to worry?...

isthistoonosy Wed 31-Aug-16 18:14:29

Do you mean you can save 1k a month or is that all your savings?

NoCapes Wed 31-Aug-16 18:15:12

hmm you're kidding right?
By the end of the month we're overdrawn past our overdraft

ineedamoreadultieradult Wed 31-Aug-16 18:17:07

You have £1000 left over at the end of every month?! So you could save £12,000 a year?! That seems like a good buffer for me. I'm happy if my balance is around £20 the day before pay day.

winewinewhine Wed 31-Aug-16 18:20:20

If you have a 1k surplus every month then you don't have an issue but if 1k is all your savings then you have a problem.

LuckySantangelo1 Wed 31-Aug-16 18:20:59

Weirdest stealth boast ever hmm

P1nkP0ppy Wed 31-Aug-16 18:22:37

Good god, I'm lucky if it's in the black 😳

CremeEggThief Wed 31-Aug-16 18:24:12

confused

Comingandgoing81 Wed 31-Aug-16 18:25:22

Don't understand your post. Are you saying you put £1k per month in savings?

NapoleonsNose Wed 31-Aug-16 18:26:51

Crikey! We've survived all of the bank hol with £12 in the bank! Only got paid today and expect things will be even tighter next month with DD's 'off to uni' expenses.

Mymouthgetsmeintrouble Wed 31-Aug-16 18:28:39

We feel lucky if theres not too much month at the end of our money

Fairylea Wed 31-Aug-16 18:48:35

By the end of the month we are £1500 into our overdraft...! We don't have anything spare! (And we don't overspend either, money is just super tight!)

AyeAmarok Wed 31-Aug-16 18:51:27

Eh, you think a grand a month (when I assume from your post neither of you are on great wages) is too little?

Whut?

Kenworthington Wed 31-Aug-16 18:57:31

Are you on fuxking drugs OP???? Many many people have nothing or less than nothing at the end of the month, us inc, and actually we have a good devon salary but three kids and hefty outgoings. You are gonna get slaughtered on this thread

MrsBoobier Wed 31-Aug-16 19:38:55

Sorry, I didn't explain properly, £1k surplus x

MrsBoobier Wed 31-Aug-16 19:47:05

No I think it's a great amount! I think we are really fortunate, my husband however lives in bloody coo coo land and says it's not enough. I think he needs to be grateful for the position we are in. I know for a fact growing up neither of us were in this position with our parents. But he's not taking that as a good enough answer. I can't seem to find a way for him to wake up and go "yes we are fortunate and I'm grateful for that" instead he just seems to be so far up his own arse he's bouncing on his head!

EarthboundMisfit Wed 31-Aug-16 19:50:21

Well if you have a 1k surplus, you save £12000 per year which is all the buffer you need!
We save half that in a very good month, but we're on a low income so saving that much is a massive struggle...we don't run a car.

Spice22 Wed 31-Aug-16 22:32:09

That's a good buffer, enjoy it ! Show your partner this thread. Maybe if he sees how little others get by on, he will get some perspective ?

JigglypuffsCaptor Wed 31-Aug-16 22:36:55

We earn jointly £2600 per month and have about £200 a month surplus, that goes in to savings confused we think we're very lucky to be able to do this, we have one child! Our buffer in the savings account at the moment is 5k

Honestly your doing amazingly well!

Comingandgoing81 Thu 01-Sep-16 12:19:36

A lot of people have nothing. I wouldn't worry about it sounds like you are doing ok.

90daychallenger Thu 01-Sep-16 12:23:07

It varies from about £1,500 to £2,800. All goes into savings ready to over-pay the mortgage or toward house renovations.

RebelandaStunner Thu 01-Sep-16 18:18:21

We always have a buffer but never much left as we do all our savings at the beginning of the month. If we left saving until the end of the month we would save less.
Has your DH been poor? He sounds a bit panicky about finances.

Grumpyoldblonde Fri 02-Sep-16 11:13:46

It's a great amount, many can't pay their basic bills.
You both work, as your husband thinks it isn't enough what does he think you can both do to change that? Does he think that you can tighten your belts a bit by buying less/cheaper food for instance? Or losing SKY/cheaper phones? On any wage it makes perfect sense not to spend more than you need to, you don't get rich by spending money as the saying goes, but if you live in a way you are happy with, e,g. full larder, the odd night out, clothes to wear and a warm place to live then he should be very glad to be in this position.
He could maybe be thinking up ways to save more if he is a panic arse, and to be honest, redundancy/illness can strike anyone at anytime, I know that all too well.
If you are saving 12k a year (did I understand you correctly?) then that is going to accumulate over the next few years into a lovely nest egg.
If he is worried about 'what might happen in future' it might be worth looking at good insurances (life/redundancy) if you don't already, but do take advice with those.
Many would give their eye teeth to be in your position, well done!

FemaleDilbert Fri 02-Sep-16 11:28:01

I'd interpreted this differently, are you saying your total savings are 1k, and you keep this buffer in your account, but month in month out you spend all you earn?

Alicesmith85 Fri 02-Sep-16 17:03:31

I've just taken a reduction in hours due to childcare purposes. So from next month our joint disposable income will be 1k. £350 each personal spends, the rest we will try and save. I spend money like it's going out of fashion so not sure how this will pan out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now