Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

More personal saving - less splurging

(6 Posts)
DecoratingDivvy Tue 30-Aug-16 13:52:03

DH and I have separate pocket money for discretionary spending. I would like to save more of mine and not fritter it away so much. I've budgeted for haircuts and contact lenses and worked out I can meet my personal savings goal and still have 75 euro a month left over which is a lot less than I'm used to. This is where I fritter money and my planned alternatives

lunch out once a week with DH - alternative eat at home, and go for a walk together afterwards, coffee if feeling flush
Ice cream cafe round the corner - buy it from the supermarket
Online Books on phone, magazines when travelling so easy to buy - library
Gifts - theorhetically should be paid from Joint money apart from presents for DH - I need to plan better - I end up buying online and shipping at the last minute instead of buying in advance and taking with me when visiting relatives - then I feel bad about spending too much and don't "claim back" from joint account
- clothes and make up - I don't really spend on these regularly but do have a big splurge every 2-3 years. So maybe I should cash aside each month in a pot for the splurge.

Any other ideas to keep within 75euro fun money budget?

DecoratingDivvy Tue 30-Aug-16 14:05:33

Just thought of another spend - impulse ice creams, or rides on a carousel for dd - 2

cozietoesie Tue 30-Aug-16 14:14:45

All sounds good for a start. smile There are two things, though.

What does DH think of all this and is he going to do some saving as well?

Have you both scrutinised what you regard as 'non-discretionary' spending to confirm you're getting maximum value for that? Many people who post here - eg on the 'Debt' thread - have found some significant savings on eg food, comms and TV, insurances etc etc which they hadn't realised they could make.

DecoratingDivvy Tue 30-Aug-16 14:29:07

Thanks Cozie! DH already saves loads of his into extra life insurance policies (I also save into extra pension and disability insurance which will pay out a lump sum if I don't need it - base pension is paid contributions come out of joint acct). My goal is freeing up money I presently "waste" for personal cash savings.
Yes good idea about the debt thread - when I was on maternity leave we had regular checks to make sure we didn't go overdrawn - I want to go back to monthly financial reviews again and better budgeting of joint money. I'll check the threads you mentioned - no point cleaning up my end if jointly we're could be saving more too

cozietoesie Tue 30-Aug-16 14:38:57

I have to confess, though, that good ice-cream is - and always has been - a big weakness of mine! wink

DecoratingDivvy Tue 30-Aug-16 14:45:17

It's so delicious, and they are such a nice Italian couple that run the shop and know us by name and allow us to hang out for ages gossiping with them - might have to exchange lunches for one ice cream trip a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now