Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Anyone received retrospective nursing home fees for a relative?

(10 Posts)
onlyconnect Thu 25-Aug-16 21:03:01

It's been agreed that I will receive nursing home fees retrospectively under the Continuing Care scheme. It's been about six weeks and the haven't received the money. I phoned the nurse who dealt with it and he has passed it on now and I have no way of contacting the finance officials.
Anyone got any idea how long I'm likely to have to wait for a cheque?

TallulahTheTiger Thu 25-Aug-16 21:04:56

Are you waiting on a rebate? I thought that this was a way the family PAID retrospectively once a house had been sold?

Shurelyshomemistake Thu 25-Aug-16 21:37:12

Nope, I think the OP means a rebate for NHS-funded continuing health care. It's often a battle to get this funding. There is something in the NHS continuing care framework (sorry can't link easily from phone) about refunds. It may say there how quickly it should be done and I have a feeling the NHS may have to pay you extra if they delay ... hang on will look.

onlyconnect Fri 26-Aug-16 06:31:51

shurley yes, that's what I mean. They have agreed it- which has taken 20 months. I wonder now how long it'll take them to pay up.

onlyconnect Fri 26-Aug-16 06:32:45

shurely sorry spelt your name wrong!

finnishbiscuiteater Fri 26-Aug-16 06:39:33

Who were the case fees paid to? If it was paid directly to the home, then you need to outside the nhs. I'd you paid via social services, the next people you need to speak to are your county council.

I'd say its normally around 2-4 months after the retrospective is agreed that the estate get their money.

Pm me if you want more info, as I work in this field

onlyconnect Fri 26-Aug-16 08:03:36

finnishbiscuiteater I have pmed you.

kath6144 Sat 27-Aug-16 10:01:34

Op would the CHC not pay the backdated fees to the nursing home, who would then re-imburse you?

This is what happened with my mum at start of this year, although it was a v short timescale. We had paid first months fees to home, within a couple of weeks she had CHC approved and another couple of weeks later she died. So we were owed about half of the first month's payment back, to the date that CHC was approved. It was the home that re-imbursed us, and I am assuming they were then paid the same under CHC scheme.

I remember it as I had to chase the home's head office for the refund cheque, which was going to be in mums name so I needed to receive and bank it before I informed bank of her death and the bank account got frozen.

As I say, it was a very short timescale (she was only in the home 7 weeks before she died) so could be different to your scenario.

onlyconnect Sat 27-Aug-16 10:31:19

6144 what you suggest isn't what I've been told. The nursing home has been paid in full by my dad. The nurse who dealt with it all said the NHS will now pay me. He has passed it on to "finance" but I have no contacts for them and it all feels a bit lost to me now. I imagine I'll receive a cheque at some point but would like an idea when but the nurse couldn't tell me. My dads estate was settled months ago.

kath6144 Sat 27-Aug-16 10:52:05

But who are 'finance', are they a part of NHS and who does the nurse work for, the NHS or the nursing home, is it a private home?

All I can tell you is my experience, we had no contact with NHS apart from a call saying she was on CHC as of that day and to contact the home for a refund of fees already paid for days going forward, but she was still a resident at that point.

I guess your situation is different as CHC has been approved after his death and after all contact with home is complete.

Hopefully someone else with more experience can help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now