Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

NHS Maternity pay spread over 9 months

(9 Posts)
JB1983 Sun 21-Aug-16 18:03:27

Hi

My DH and I are at the beginning of our journey of TTC. I've worked in the NHS for ten years so am entitled to 8 weeks full pay, 18 weeks half pay + SMP and 13 weeks SMP. I would much rather have the maternity pay spread over the 9 months so I would know what to expect each month and budget better.

So I am in need of someone that is good at their sums! What would I expect to get each month on maternity if my take home pay is normally about £2000 per month.

Also do you still have to pay back student loan during maternity leave?

Any help would be greatly appreciated x

Diddlydokey Sun 21-Aug-16 18:09:26

Once you're pregnant ask them for a breakdown and they'll tell you.

Or have a play on the listen to taxman website.

Repaying your sl depends upon of you're over the threshold in the relevant month.

In simple terms you get c. 917 per month free of tax & ni. After that they take 12% ni & 20% tax. 9% sl over the threshold. Also your pension contribution for the duration at 7.5% iirc.

anyname123 Sun 21-Aug-16 18:17:06

Add SMP (so 139 per week) to the equivalent of 17 weeks full pay, and divide by 39. That's what my HR dept advised when I was struggling with the maths! You'd still pay pension at (approx) 9%, plus student loan, but only a tiny amount.

anyname123 Sun 21-Aug-16 18:17:51

Oh and union still want full subs, which I thought was a bit of a shitter.

The3Ls Sun 21-Aug-16 18:22:01

very rough estimate total 9500/9 months so just over £1000. you do get a bit of benefit tax wise though and don't forget you get your annual leave for the year too so another 8.3 weeks as you ve done 10 years which you can sell some of if you re short. you can also freeze pension contributions for the 9 months if needs be which would add in a fair bit too

becciandbump Sun 21-Aug-16 18:23:37

I don't know but I could tell you In Approx 3 months! I am due to go on maternity leave in nov and earn similar amount and have apies to spread it over 9 months. They calculate maternity pay weeks 17-26 of your pregnancy I was paying for a bike on the bike scheme during that time and have been told that will be deducted (despite the payments actually finishing in October) as it goes on those set weeks. Id imagine in that basis if student loan was deducted it would continue to be deducted during the 9 months x

anyname123 Sun 21-Aug-16 18:26:09

The3Ls, did you freeze your pension? I considereal this but I'm worried there may be a massive downside that I haven't spotted yet, is it all just straight forward? Tried reading the pemsion manual but feel like a degree in accountancy is necessary to decipher it!

JB1983 Sun 21-Aug-16 18:42:05

Thank you so much for your help. I'm just a bit of a worrier so want to make sure I have saved enough money to cover the drop in income for the nine months.
I'm hoping to use my annual leave to extend my maternity past the nine months.
That's rubbish about the bike scheme becci.

becciandbump Sun 21-Aug-16 19:57:34

Tell me about it im now effectively paying for the bike for 21 months instead of the 12 payments if have paid if I wasn't pregnant it sucks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now