Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Energy - get better deal with current supplier or switch

(5 Posts)
ArseholesOnToast Tue 16-Aug-16 18:07:43

We get gas and electricity from the same supplier and on the online bill they say we're on their cheapest tariff for us. We don't use much each month.

Looking on price comparison sites we could save about £150 annually by switching.

We're pleased with the current supplier and their customer service but would like to save money.

Is it worth calling up current supplier (SSE) to ask if they would match the cheaper quotes or just switch?

On the comparison sites it says that you can't get a better deal by going direct to the suppliers so I was wondering if calling SSE would be worth it.

I appreciate I am probs overthinking this 😄

Just5minswithDacre Tue 16-Aug-16 18:10:21

You mean like bartering a discount on an official tariff?

Can't say I've ever tried but who's going to stop you? smile

ArseholesOnToast Tue 16-Aug-16 18:37:52

Yes I was planning on phoning them up, telling them how much cheaper everyone else is and threaten to leave in a cloud of indignation if they said no to anything off the bill!

It doesn't seem to be the done thing though.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 17-Aug-16 08:16:49

I would go to moneysavingexpert energy club, get quotes based on actual useage & then ring them. It's whole of market and shows deals uswitch etc won't tell you about.

Check how much it would be to have a seperate gas and electric supplier, not just dual fuel.

I never have contact with my suppliers, I give readings & they send me bills but I never actually contact them.

specialsubject Wed 17-Aug-16 08:54:19

Those saving figures can be a lie. Knock up a quick spreadsheet with actual usage figures. Get your current unit costs and stansing charges, and those for the proposed new tariff. ( not the tariff information label, the real costs). Then you can see what you save.

You can grab a few extra quid in cashback from some places.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now