Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I've been refused an M+S credit card and have no idea why

(8 Posts)
YoJesse Tue 16-Aug-16 12:15:12

I'm earning, I've no official debt (as in I've borrowed money off family but not loans or anything), I've been with my bank for over 10yrs.

No expenditure on cars or housing as I live with my mum. I got a barclay cc years ago without any problems (don't have it anymore).

Why could it have been refused? I applied online and they sent an email back saying it wasn't successful confused

INeedSomeHelp Tue 16-Aug-16 12:18:13

It's probably due to your lack of borrowing - ridiculous as that sounds. They can't see any evidence of you being a responsible borrower who pays things back on time so they're not willing to take the risk. I'm sure there will be other credit card companies who will though.

Teacupinastorm Tue 16-Aug-16 12:23:18

I was declined an M&S card. At the time I was working for them so I was even more confused. Successfully applied for both Virgin and Nectar cards both prior and after the M&S application. I think they just have odd rules.

davos Tue 16-Aug-16 12:27:12

Both my mum and dad got declined. Both have excellent credit ratings. Dad got a different one a few days later with no issues. Seems to be common with M&S.

Teacupinastorm Tue 16-Aug-16 12:29:02

Nectar credit card I mean. Not just a regular nectar card!

Allalonenow Tue 16-Aug-16 12:30:55

Probably due to your lack of financial history, no mortgage or loans for example.
Make sure you are on the electoral roll, as that is a normal check carried out.

EssentialHummus Tue 16-Aug-16 12:36:40

I was declined for M&S in a similar situation. Not sure what their rules are, but I just wrote them off.

YoJesse Tue 16-Aug-16 12:55:05

Ooh it's not me it's them! Shame as I fancied the rewards it offers.

And yes to financial history. I'm a bit off grid as previously I didn't trust myself with a cc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now