Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Concentrix on behalf of HMRC tax credits- mistakes, accusations and general incompetence!!

(15 Posts)
scousemummylondon Sat 13-Aug-16 16:33:34

hello everybody, this is my first post. If anyone has had problems with Concentrix, especially if the allege they wrote to you but you didn't receive, please can you contact me. I have taken my case to the local member of parliament, and lodged a complaint. But I have seen a lot of posts on here and other sites saying this is quite common. I have asked my MP to raise as a policy issue and would love some more evidence from others to pass on to her. Essentially concentrix are accusing people of living with partners when it is often a former resident, the landlord, etc, and they are demanding months/years worth of documents such as bank statements, which in my view do not have any relevance to cohabitation. I have sent my documents today and it took me hours in the bank, scanning each page into my computer then paying to post the originals. In my case Concentrix wrote to me supposedly in june 2016, I have never had problems with post and I have lved here 5 years, I get the post first as I live in a small house of 3 flats. I do not have a partner and my child's father has never lived with us we split when I was pregnant 15 years ago. Despite that concentrix insist they sent the letter therefore say its reasonable to terminate tax credits without notice This is despite never sending anything else to me or ringing me, and despite the fact that they cannot produce a copy of the letter. I have I rang them twice, waited 15-20 mins and their system was "down". neither can HMRC produce a copy. I have now been left with no tax credits over the summer holidays, my daughter is 15 on Monday and I cannot afford to pay for her friends to go cinema with her s its a tea party at home as I have no money! ( luckily I bought presents etc from my wages). I also get housing benefit to help with my rent (as I rent in london from a private landlord) and this has now also been terminated.
I cannot tell you how stressed I am. I work, so I am not expecting free money, but to remove tax credits without notice n false allegations which cat even be backed up is just horrendous. Tax credits are there to help people afford to live when working, I did not choose to be a single mum nor did I choose to earn a low wage, but that's just how life has turned out! I work for a charity helping victims of crime, however it is e who needs help in this situation!
Please do get in touch if you have any stories to submit to my MP, thanks
Please also see this article:
www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/people-in-need-at-risk-of-losing-tax-credits-after-being-wrongly-accused-of-cheating-10060745.html

littleducks Sat 13-Aug-16 16:46:24

We have huge ongoing problems. Will try and get involved

scousemummylondon Sat 13-Aug-16 17:06:45

littleducks- if you would like to inbox me a summary please do, many thanks

Skyeweston123 Tue 06-Sep-16 20:09:17

I also received this letter!
I sent my documents a month ago now and have rung every week since for them to tell me it's still in the pile to be restored and they can't do anything about it.
They refused to give me the number of the people that complete the restores and have told me to wait yet another week and to 'keep checking my bank' got my back payments and money to be restored!
I am one very stressed single mum who is scraping by after they w re abruptly stopped after being accused of having a partner!

Skyeweston123 Tue 06-Sep-16 20:11:21

I think mine were also stopped at the same time as yours as I didn't receive any during the summer holidays! 😡

mummylondon16 Tue 06-Sep-16 20:58:50

I ended up sending a letter threatening judicial review and lodging a complaint. I have also been in touch with my own MP, Frank field MP and a campaign group.I then received confirmation from HMRC that concentrix never actually sent me a letter and didn't upload my documents or mandatory reconsideration. My housing benefits still not in payment due to their believing there's been change of circumstances. Tax credits started again today. My advice would be to lodge a mandatory reconsideration and complaint and most imprtantly go to your MP. If you need any templates for letter etc pls can you email me? niamhoreilly2@hotmail.com please put concentrix in the subject line

mummylondon16 Tue 06-Sep-16 20:59:07

I ended up sending a letter threatening judicial review and lodging a complaint. I have also been in touch with my own MP, Frank field MP and a campaign group.I then received confirmation from HMRC that concentrix never actually sent me a letter and didn't upload my documents or mandatory reconsideration. My housing benefits still not in payment due to their believing there's been change of circumstances. Tax credits started again today. My advice would be to lodge a mandatory reconsideration and complaint and most imprtantly go to your MP. If you need any templates for letter etc pls can you email me? niamhoreilly2@hotmail.com please put concentrix in the subject line

Skyeweston123 Tue 06-Sep-16 21:35:18

Thank you so much! I will email
You because it is absolutely ridiculous. I have been trying to find an email address for them ect to log a complaint and get some answers!

mummylondon16 Tue 06-Sep-16 21:49:00

rashaomar Wed 07-Sep-16 10:03:13

hi I've just joined the site and read your post. I couldn't agree more with you something need to be done but I really think we should take legal action if we can as I don't believe that raisn the matter to the parliament would solve our problem, I really gave up on them.im a single mother for 3 young kids receiving incomsupport , early June I filled my tax credit format they sent me sent it with all the documents that concentrix requested because apparently the accused me of cheating and another adult living with me. that's is not true. Instead of sending the documents to them I sent it to hmrc. called hmrc and no help at all I than called concentrix and also no help at . I havent got paid in over 2 month my kids holiday was ruind and they hate me for it.im in debts trying to feed my kids and at the moment I'm going to beg for money to feed my kids.i liturlay have zero money can't afford to pay my bills or buy food for my kids and it's breaking my heart to pieces, I don't know what to tell my kids.
can anyone tell me if I have any legal rights or tell what else I can do

mummylondon16 Wed 07-Sep-16 10:40:29

Hello, I sent a letter before action which is the formal route of starting judicial review proceedings. I did this because in my case they failed to issue a decision and they ignored my mandatory reconsideration application. It's important to seek legal advice if possible as threatening judicial review can be risky, however in my case my mum is a solicitor and drafted the letter for me. It worked HMRC admitted the mistakes and restarted my payments, if you want to email me I'll send you a template complaint letter and some guidance on how to deal with this.
In terms of mp's I think this is more of a long term tactic- as I mention above Frank field MP is raising this with concentrix as are a campaign group I'm in talks with. If the government and HMRC feel enough pressure they will change things. Frank field is on the dwp committee. I still recomend people approach their MP as they have a special line to HMRC to get information on cases, and they are supposed to get a response to their queries more quickly, so it helps if you have a good MP.
If you want to email me its niamhoreilly2@hotmail.com

mummylondon16 Wed 07-Sep-16 23:11:02

To the three people who emailed me, I've replied, did you get it?

Steelojames Fri 16-Sep-16 13:25:12

Hi all,
I work full time and have had my tax credits stopped.
This happened mid August and I rely on them to pay my child care costs.
I never received a letter from concentrix, they claim to have sent in June.
I have requested a mandatory reconsideration 3 weeks ago, and call every week to check updates but can never get through. When I call hmrc they say nothing is on the system and to keep trying the following week.
My son's nursery were understanding when I told them the situation but now nearly 5 weeks in and no fees I suspect they will begin to come down heavy on me.
What can u advise???

rashaomar Fri 16-Sep-16 14:38:06

a lady had the same problem as me and she told me to write a formal complaint about them explaining your situation and send it to them. she told after she complained they called her and apologies and sorted out her claim a lot faster. I'm actually going to send mine today

mummylondon16 Fri 16-Sep-16 14:58:13

Steelo
Can you email me please? niamhoreilly2@hotmail.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now