Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Did your financial advisor at your bank help you cut debt?

(5 Posts)
Millionairerow Fri 12-Aug-16 18:20:28

We have a lot of credit card debt and we need to do something. Our bank financial adviser says they can help us? Any experiences out there of if they helped you? We've had previous meetings but they never really helped us at the time. Their products did not save us anything. We do need to decrease our credit card payments though. Any positive experiences out there?

isthistoonosy Fri 12-Aug-16 18:25:04

Generally I wouldn't go.through your bank ime they ate just trying to sell things to you.
What's your general situation, I'm sure people here could point you in the right direction.
Do you have a mortgage?
Any savings?
Current cards and debts? Amounts and rates
Do you have a monthly budget? Can you live to it? Does it include 'emergencies' like car and house repairs, pet insurance etc?
What do have left each month to pay towards debt?
Etc

AnotherEmma Fri 12-Aug-16 18:27:03

Oh God no, don't talk to a bank for debt advice! They make money out of your debts!

Talk to Citizens Advice, the National Debtline or StepChange. There is also the MoneySavingExpert website which has excellent advice on reducing credit card debt.

isthistoonosy Fri 12-Aug-16 18:27:21

Given you have debt I'd look at charities for advice rather than financial advisors. If using an advisor I'd go to a registered/chartered (not sure of the UK term) independent financial advisor.

2Creamteas Fri 12-Aug-16 20:18:22

Don't go to a bank they will offer to consolidate your debts on a loan which may not be the best way to go. Contact step change .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now