Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How do you claim anything re JSA etc?!

(15 Posts)
MrsMuddlePluck Tue 09-Aug-16 19:22:38

Frustrated mother of 18 year old, trying to guide him through claiming for benefits now that he has finished college. He has successfully applied for an apprenticeship that starts at the beginning of Sept, but I believe he may be entitled to financial support over the summer holidays and during his apprenticeship. We have been away on holiday so only just trying to get round to applying for benefits.

However the gov.uk website is a nightmare and is sending us all over the place.

Started claim for JSA. First it asked for postcode and told us he was in an area that's started on Universal Credit [UC] so it redirected us there.

Started again only to be told that the postcode isn't in the UC credit area and to apply for JSA! We are going round in circles!

Any ideas how he applies please? We can't call the jobcentre direct as the 0845 number we found doesn't ring through! Hence trying to do it online.

TheWeeBabySeamus1 Tue 09-Aug-16 19:25:04

He can call to make a claim. The number for new JSA claims is 0800 055 6688.

wannabestressfree Tue 09-Aug-16 19:33:41

Honestly I am not sure why you would when he starts an apprenticeship so soon..... would work not be better?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 09-Aug-16 19:37:40

Pub job to tide him over until then?

CatNip2 Tue 09-Aug-16 19:42:52

He isn't entitled to anything if he's on apprenticeship surely? Agree with PP, get a temp job. Not being funny but it took me three weeks to apply for a six quid reduction in my parents council tax cos dad has Alzheimer's. If you think your son will get JSA for a few weeks until it starts you may be disappointed. And if he does he will have to prove he has applied for at least 14 jobs a week to keep it.

He has a job waiting I don't hold much hope of any benefits.

expatinscotland Tue 09-Aug-16 20:02:16

By the time the claim is processed he will be in his apprenticeship. If he claims JSA during his apprenticeship, he must be available for work according to JobCentre parameters, which means FT work/placements for a person this age with no disabilities. Why on Earth apply for JSA, he's not job seeking if he's in a FT apprenticeship, surely?

I presume you no longer receive Child Benefit for him?

AnotherEmma Tue 09-Aug-16 20:13:16

JSA is £57.90/week for under 25s. Applying seems a lot of hassle for just 3 weeks, although I realise that it's still a significant amount of money for him. Still, if he can find any casual work over the next few weeks, he may well be able to earn at least as much as that.

For future reference, Citizens Advice are very knowledgable and helpful when it comes to benefits.

Greenyogagirl Tue 09-Aug-16 20:15:45

He won't get it because he isn't seeking a job hmm

MrsMuddlePluck Tue 09-Aug-16 20:19:24

Thanks WeeBabySeamus1 - will try that tomorrow!

MrsMuddlePluck Tue 09-Aug-16 20:23:17

I though he could get some kind of top-up as he'll only be on £3.30ph, but min wage is £6.60ph?

I've never claimed for myself so don't really know how the system works.

I do know that apprenticeships suck from a financial pov, but someone told me [outside of MN] that his f-t apprenticeship earnings will stay be over the threshold for benefits, so maybe he's not entitled to any anyway? Also heard that I don't lose child benefit for him [I have declared that he has finished at college] until the start of the next academic year, so will be start of Sept anyway?

MrsMuddlePluck Tue 09-Aug-16 20:24:06

response re 0800 number x-posted as I didn't refresh the thread first!

TheWeeBabySeamus1 Tue 09-Aug-16 20:48:12

Your son can get some help whilst doing his apprenticeship with things like travel and extra funding if he needs it.

Link here

expatinscotland Tue 09-Aug-16 21:03:21

He can't even start a claim for JSA if you are still receiving Child Benefit for him and he can't claim JSA if he is not available for FT work, which he won't be if he's on a FT apprenticeship. Min. wage differs for those under 25. He can get help with costs related to work such as travel, course related costs and uniform if he qualifies but no 'top ups' from the state/benefits.

AnotherEmma Tue 09-Aug-16 21:42:30

OP, you mention a "top up", but as PPs said he won't be eligible for anything like that. You might be thinking of working tax credit, which is a kind of "top up" for working people on low incomes, but you have to be 25+ to be able to claim (with a few exceptions that aren't relevant in this case).

MrsMuddlePluck Wed 10-Aug-16 08:00:06

Sounds like it's not worth the bother. If he wants extra dosh he knows what he needs to do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now